Author Topic: FARRELL-KELLY Marriage  (Read 992 times)

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
  • Isabella Waldeck, dau of George and Isabella Brand
    • View Profile
FARRELL-KELLY Marriage
« on: Monday 16 December 19 04:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I'm looking for a marriage in Kildare in the years approximately 1838-1839 between a Catherine Ann FARRELL and a Thomas KELLY. I believe the couple were married before they both left for India, where Thomas fought for 18 years. So far I've been unable to find record of their marriage, would anyone be able to help?

Thanks in advance,
EB.

EDIT:
https://enrolledpensionerforcewa.org.au/epf-profiles/k/kelly-thomas-53rd-and-10th-regiment-1st-battalion/
This website above lists their marriage in India, not Ireland as I thought before. However I can't find record of this marriage either.
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)

Offline If the shoe fits

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FARRELL-KELLY Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 April 22 04:09 BST (UK) »
Hi EB

I know exactly the person you are talking about.  Catherine Ann Farrell married Thomas Kelly, who became an Enrolled Pensioner Guard.  They arrived in Australia on the Lincelles in 1862.  If you look at the ships log, you will see Jeremiah Kelly and John Kelly with their families arriving on the same ship - they are family.  I think my John and Anna Kelly are from Westmeath/Longford.  Johns birth certificate is Westmeath, believe their marriage was Longford, but not finding much either. 

On a different post, you asked why they moved to Australia.  I am not sure if you still are searching for the answer.  In the UK, there was the potato famine and industrial revoution - poverty was widespread.  People stole to feed children, but were transported for stealing -  die from starvation, children dying or take the risk to feed babies.

BUT....

The Kelly men - Thomas, John and Jeremiah had served for the Queen - you said Thomas served in India, I know John (pretty sure Jeremiah did too), served in the Crimea War. Its on the Enrolled Pensioner Force website though.  There is also a fb page for them. They were medically discharged - war pensioned.  They were offered a pension, job for minimum 7 years AND an allotment of land if they moved to Western Australia.  The men and families took up the offer - from their perspective it wasn't a gamble - stay in UK and die - starve, or steal to feed a family and get transported), move to Western Australia and OWN their own land  - they were already better off by saying yes.  So they left in 1861, arrived in 1862 in Fremantle and then moved around for work. 

I am wondering if you are in WA.... because of the Brand name? Pretty big here! I know some of your posts are older, I hope you are still researching, would love to share info, connect via social media and chat our family history.  I don't think its a coincidence there were the three Kelly men on the same ship.... and moved around WA close to each other.  They all seem to live close to each other in Ireland, but the records are hit and miss.  So many destroyed.  Then there are the different names for the same towns/counties etc.... confusing.  If you are not in WA, I have a stack of links you can use to find info on them, its just knowing where to search. 

Hope you are still out there somewhere, searching and building your family tree. Feel free to message and we can talk family and hopefully help you find the marriage certificate for Thomas and Catherine.  Cheers