Author Topic: Oceanian on GEDmatch  (Read 1948 times)

Offline Nahua

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Oceanian on GEDmatch
« on: Monday 16 December 19 12:25 GMT (UK) »
After a conversation on here about DNA from Southwest Asia (Pakistan and Northern India) led into a conversation about Malaysia, Melansian and Australian DNA, I played around with GEDmatch a little moe, discovering that the "Oceanian" component showed up on several calculators in varying amounts.

Anyway, I found this article and talked to different members of my tribe who have take DNA tests and done GEDmatch.

https://dna-explained.com/2015/07/22/some-native-americans-had-oceanic-ancestors/

All of them have similar results. It seems that the Austronesian/Melanisian/Papan and Oceanic results show up for nearly all of them. However, they don't all get Siberian and Samoyedic, but I do. I figure they must come from my dad's side of the family because my maternal aunt doesn't get them either.

Anyway, I now think the Oceanian DNA is from a separate source than the Punjabi (which registers sometimes as South Asian and sometimes as SW Asian) but it is in the north India/Pakistan and Afghanistan regions and I believe it traces to some mingling with a European ancestor or perhaps it also simply goes back much longer than I've been led to believe.

My point is that the article may help someone else understand why you keep getting Austronesian or Melansian, etc.