Author Topic: Can I find butcher in County Roscommon with the surname Audley  (Read 4630 times)

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can I find butcher in County Roscommon with the surname Audley
« on: Tuesday 17 December 19 12:19 GMT (UK) »
I have a John Audley who entered Alms House Hospital in New York aged 73 in January 1894. The record of his entry states that he was born in County Roscommon Ireland and that his father was a Butcher Unfortunately the record does not give his fathers name.

I know from other American records that John’s wife was called Catherine Madden and they emigrated from Ireland, arriving in America in October 1851 with a young son. John Audley is recorded in the US censuses as being a blacksmith.

I believe they had two sons before emigrating to America both Christened at Kilteevan, Roscommon, Ireland namely a John Audly (sic) christened 5th May 1848 ( I believe he died before the family emigrated) and a Francis Audly (sic) christened 28th September `1850, who emigrated with his parents to America and it is this Francis Audley who is recorded on his fathers admission papers to to the Alms House Hospital.

I know John Audley had a father who was a butcher. Can any body guide me to how I would find a Butcher in County Roscommon Ireland, who had the Audley surname or a variant spelling of that surname?

Thanks for any help

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Can I find butcher in County Roscommon with the surname Audley
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 December 19 12:57 GMT (UK) »
passenger ship Hibernia in 1851

John Audley 26, Frances Audley (Baby only months old), Catharin Audley 24

also a Mary Madden aged 34, Honora Madden age 24, Cecelia Madden aged 19, Ann Madden aged 9, Thomas Madden aged 14.

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 December 19 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi rathmore,
Many thanks for reply to my message.
Please accept my apologies for not making it clear that I am trying to find references to this Audley family in Ireland prior to them emigrating to America. I have a lot of information about the family in America including their date of arrival and the Name of the ship on which they arrived.

Sorry for not making it clear what I was really after
Regards
Brian

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 December 19 22:09 GMT (UK) »
You mention the family came from Kilteevan in Roscommon. That’s likely the RC parish of Kilkeevan. Their baptism and marriage records start in the early 1800s. I can find no trace of a marriage.

Griffiths Valuation for 1857 has 4 Audley households (2 x Francis, 1 by Jane  & 1 Henry). All were in Roscommon town. Henry looks to have died in 1865 aged 47. Can’t say what happened to the others.

I searched the 1901 census and did not find a single Audley in the county.

Slaters directory for Roscommon town in 1846 lists 5 butchers, plus 5 in Castlerea. None named Audley.

https://www.failteromhat.com/slaterc.htm

Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 December 19 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Someone else has a thread about this Audley family-
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=809278.0
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 December 19 22:23 GMT (UK) »
If the Audley butcher remained in Ireland and died post-1864 his death should have been registered. A man's occupation was usually stated.
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en
I don't see any likely death registrations in any district in County Roscommon.
https://www.swilson.info/index.php is useful for identifying registrations districts, civil and ecclesiastical parishes &c.
Cowban

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 December 19 22:27 GMT (UK) »
You might want to widen searches for farmers as some also did butchering and since they wouldn't have had premises in a village or town are unlikely to be listed as a butcher in any directories.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 December 19 07:49 GMT (UK) »
The Catholic parish is Roscommon and Kilteevan
The two Civil Parishes are Roscommon and Kilteevan

Francis’ baptism shows Henry Audley as Godparent
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633981#page/123/mode/1up

Griffiths Valuation shows Jane Audley, Francis Audley and Henry Audley in Roscommon town
https://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/roscommon/roscommon.htm

As Elwyn Souter writes, Henry died in 1865 aged 47 yrs but the record is not yet online. You could send for it though.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01oqn/
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 December 19 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all for your replies; I have spent the day with the grand children and have only just got home and am now able to respond to all your kind messages.

Elwyn Soutter I mentioned that they came Kilteevan because I found, by chance the baptism records I referred to in my initial message in Kilteevan Parish Registers, the names seemed to match the family that emigrated to America. Now having found the additional record in America that John entered Alms House  Hospital and that record states that he was born in County Rosscommon makes it more certain that he came from Roscommon. The new information also suggests that John's father was a butcher, hence my original message.

I would think that the 5 references to the Audley Surname in the Griffiths valuation of Ireland must be in some way related to my John Audley. The Francis Audley in the Griffiths valuation leased a forge and a yard. It is unfortunate that he did not show up in Slaters directory.

aghadowey yes I agree someone else appears to have posted about the same family. They were looking for the marriage between John Audley and Catherine Madden, and it appears that the thread found no reference to that marriage. This ties in with what Elwyn Soutter says as he cannot find a record of the marriage
You also suggest widening the search to include farmers. Surely farmers would be included in the Griffith Valuation but there appears to none in County Roscommon. Also I have yet to find a farmer listed in the Slaters Directory suggested by  Elwyn.

Maidenstone as Heyward indicates the only death I can find post 1864 is that of Henry Audley who died in 1865 aged 47 suggesting he was born in 1818. As my 'best guess' is that John Audley was born about 1825. This would make Henry 7 years older than John, perhaps they were brothers.

Haywood  You say that Henry was the Godparent to  Francis Audley baptised in 1850 in Kilteeven again supporting the evidence that Henry Audley could be the brother of John Audley.

Since my initial message I have been looking through some old family history papers one of these papers seems to suggest that there were eleven Church baptisms in County Roscommon between 1821 and 1850 unfortunately I do not know from which website the  information originates.
The list includes:
A John Audley baptised in 1821 in County Roscommon
A John Adly baptised in 1825 in County Roscommon
A John Peter Audly baptised in 1836 in County Roscommon
A John Adly baptised in 1839 in County Rosscommon

Can any body suggest a source?
Thanks for all your help