Author Topic: Can I find butcher in County Roscommon with the surname Audley  (Read 4678 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can I find butcher in County Roscommon with the surname Audley
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 22 December 19 20:27 GMT (UK) »
For interest re previously mentioned

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2WDT-W71

Francis Audley, died 1916 Bronx NY - parents John Audley and Jane Sharkey

Also John Audley - same parents

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2W1Q-XSW
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 December 19 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Eliza - same parents (although it says Jane Sharberg)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2WXC-3SF

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 December 19 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Nothing for Audley in Tithe Applotment Books.

Calendars of Wills and Administrations 1858-1920 National Archives of Ireland
www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/home.jsp
None in Roscommon for Audley.
Cowban

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 22 December 19 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to all for all the fantastic information about the Audley Family in Roscommon. I believe they all must be related somehow. I am still trying to write up all this information into my Master file, which with all the information I have from America is approximately 40 pages long.

Just a few specific comments/ questions
Elwyn Soutter I think the paper list I found probably originated from the 'pay to view' website that you refer to as you appear to have struck a direct hit on all the baptisms that were on my paper list. In your message you say that you could not find the baptism of a John in 1836. I must have made an error as John's baptism was in 1939. I think Heywood found it but recorded it as Jane and Not John.

In your message you refer to the Parishes of Kilkeevin and Roscommon & Kilteevan. Are there really two parishes with such similar names (Kilkeevin and Kilteevin)?

Can I now be cheeky. The list I have on the piece of paper includes 4 marriages Haywood gave me two  of them. Can you please check if the other two are on the website you refer to. The relevant marriages are:
A John Audley in 1825 and
A Michael Audley in 1850.

There appears to be a distinct lack of death and burial records compared to the number of birth. Were burials not recorded in Ireland.

I would like to see more information from the newspaper records of the various people with the Audley Surname in Roscommon, could those people who have given me the information please give me a link to the source.

Now an admission. I am going away tomorrow to spend Christmas with my son and his family so I will have to sign off now. I will get back to this thread in a weeks time. The information you have given me is overwhelming but keep it coming.
Many Thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 22 December 19 21:29 GMT (UK) »
It was usually only the Church of Ireland that routinely recorded burials so it's not that common to find burials recorded.

For reference the 2 baptisms found for you yesterday on another forum-
https://irelandxo.com/ireland-xo/message-board/butcher

Find My Past (a pay site) have Irish newspapers in their collection.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 22 December 19 22:23 GMT (UK) »

Just a few specific comments/ questions
Elwyn Soutter  In your message you say that you could not find the baptism of a John in 1836. I must have made an error as John's baptism was in 1939. I think Heywood found it but recorded it as Jane and Not John.

In your message you refer to the Parishes of Kilkeevin and Roscommon & Kilteevan. Are there really two parishes with such similar names (Kilkeevin and Kilteevin)?

Can I now be cheeky. The list I have on the piece of paper includes 4 marriages Haywood gave me two  of them. Can you please check if the other two are on the website you refer to. The relevant marriages are:
A John Audley in 1825 and
A Michael Audley in 1850.

I would like to see more information from the newspaper records of the various people with the Audley Surname in Roscommon, could those people who have given me the information please give me a link to the source.

Baptism register was in Latin. Sometimes transcribers mistake John for Jane and vice-versa as the Latin names both begin "Joan", followed by the masculine or feminine case ending. It's sometimes unclear whether a letter is "a" or "e" . Some priests abbreviated the Latin word for son or daughter to "f." or omitted it.

To see names of parishes on a map go to Catholic Parishes at National Library of Ireland and put Kilkeevin in the search box. You'll be able to see Kilteevan on the map not far away.
https://registers.nli.ie

John Audley 1825 marriage was in Athleague parish (FindMyPast free search). Easy to find in the marriage register on the National Library of Ireland Catholic Registers site. Look out for Joannes.  Bride was a Sharkey ("Sharkee"). Note a witness was a Madden ("Maddin). Weddings were usually in the bride's parish.
Michael Audley 1850 marriage was in Boyle. I couldn't see it in the Boyle marriage register.

I used FindMyPast for newspaper articles. There are other newspaper collections, some indexed online.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 22 December 19 22:30 GMT (UK) »
For reference the 2 baptisms found for you yesterday on another forum-
https://irelandxo.com/ireland-xo/message-board/butcher

IrelandXO website has an article "Irish Naming and Baptism Traditions" which you may find interesting. Click on "News" tab to find it. The article is currently on page 3.
Cowban

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 23 December 19 00:20 GMT (UK) »

There appears to be a distinct lack of death and burial records compared to the number of birth. Were burials not recorded in Ireland.

Yes there are 2 separate parishes of those names.

As Aghadowey has explained, RC burials mostly weren't recorded. Since statutory death registration (vital records) didn't start till 1864, there is often no record of someone who died before that unless there is gravestone or their death merited a mention in a  newspaper.

I have access to a newspaper website which has many Irish newspapers (though not all). I have searched them for any other likely mentions of Audley + Roscommon but did not see anything else of interest.

We don't have the same range of 19th century records as exist in the US and elsewhere. Some were lost for various reasons and others never kept in the first place. It was quite possible to live most of your life then below officialdom's radar. A butcher who lived and died in Co. Roscommon in the first half of the 1800s could be a typical example.
Elwyn

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 27 December 19 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Marriages Catholic Parish Registers

Roscommon and Kilteevan
Bartholomew Audty and Brigida Reed
November  1828

Maria Audly  and Petrin Samell
February 1822

Family Search has these records:
(Latin)
Mariam Audley and Petrum Farrell - makes more sense than the above transcription
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGJJ-6MP

Bartholomeus Audley and Brigida Reid
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGJW-15G