Author Topic: Can I find butcher in County Roscommon with the surname Audley  (Read 4690 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can I find butcher in County Roscommon with the surname Audley
« Reply #36 on: Monday 30 December 19 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Might Joanna have been known as Ann/Anna/Annie to her family & friends? 2 of my Irish Anns were officially Honor/Honoria/Hanora.
Re age at death #reply 33. This was often inaccurate for Irish people of that era, especially if the death was reported by someone other than close family. Even family members may not have known exact age of deceased. Many ages on 1901 Irish census were wrong. The majority of my Irish ancestors born 1820-1860 had incorrect ages on Irish and most English censuses; some were a decade out. Stated age should be regarded as an estimate not a fact.
Birthdays weren't important. E.g. a cousin of mine didn't know the birthday of her Irish-born father and he was born in 20thC. Our grandmother's dates of birth are different on her birth registration and her baptism register.
Cowban

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 02 January 20 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood and Maidenstone,
Many thanks for your last two replies I had always assumed that baptisms would be in date order it never occurred to me that each priest would maintain his own list in date order.

Thanks for all your help I an currently gaining more information about the descendants of John Audly and Joan (Jane ) Starkey who emigrate to  America. I will be comming back to this thread as I update my master file.

Have a great 2020

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 04 January 20 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood and Maidenstone,
Many thanks for your last two replies I had always assumed that baptisms would be in date order it never occurred to me that each priest would maintain his own list in date order.

Some parishes might have contained several chapels, some with their own curates.
Some Irish R.C. registers are "in great disorder" as NLI website describes it. 
Cowban

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 11 January 20 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
Just to let you know that I have now managed to obtain copies of the Roscommon Newspapers that refer to people with the Audley surname, that you mentioned in your replies.

Somebody mentioned that 'Irish Petty Sessions' are included in the 'FindmyPast'.website. I could not find any reference to an Audley in County Roscommon in the 'Irish Petty Sessions' Have I missed something?

THanks for all your help