Author Topic: Can I find butcher in County Roscommon with the surname Audley  (Read 4677 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can I find butcher in County Roscommon with the surname Audley
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 December 19 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Ireland select births and baptisms

Roscommon and Kilteevan

Joannam  Adly. (Probably Jane) female
12 Aug 1839
Father:   Joannis Adly
Mother:   Joannae Sharky

Bridgiddam Audlys
5 Nov 1837
Father:   Jacobi Audlys
Mother:   Bridgiddae Mc Avery

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 December 19 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Marriages Catholic Parish Registers

Roscommon and Kilteevan
Bartholomew Audty and Brigida Reed
November  1828

Maria Audly  and Petrin Samell
February 1822

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 December 19 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Griffiths also has a Francis Audly in Roscommon town. He has plot 7 in Church St which is a garden only (ie no house). So he’s probably one of the other two Francis in the town (Church St & Church Lane), with a garden slightly distant from his house.

The Jane who appears in in Abbeytown has a house only. She’s possibly a widow. Single women did appear in Griffiths but more often than not women tended to be widows.

The only Audley/Audly death in the Roscommon town civil registration area 1864 – 1901 is Henry in 1865. The others therefore died before 1.1.1864, or  moved away from that area. The Valuation revision books in the Valuation Office in Dublin should show when they ceased to be tenants of the various properties, but they normally won’t tell you why they are no longer listed. (Those records are not on line).

Most farmers should be in Griffiths. I agree there are none listed in the county.

I am not sure whether a rural butcher would be listed in Slaters. It's towns only.

Regarding the baptism records, it’s important to remember that not all parishes had records for the period you are interested in (ie John Audley born c 1825). For example Kilkeevin has records from 1804, but Roscommon & Kilteevan don’t start till 1820, Kilbride 1835, Clontuskett 1865. So it can be hit and miss.

I can see some Audley baptisms on a pay to view site. All are listed for Roscommon which would be Roscommon & Kilteevan RC.

John Audly & Joan Sharkey had:

Frances 27.12.1830; Edward 23.5.1828, Elizabeth 6.3.1834, John Peter 29.6.1836 & John 12.8.1839 (sponsor Henry Adley).

Henry Audely & Mary Bermingham had:

John 7.3.1821 (sp Mary Audley);
Margaret 16.2.1823 (sp Bartholomew Audley)
John Adly 13.9.1825 (sp John Adly)
Margaret 19.11.1826 (address of Pudding Lane)

Note: the first Margaret and first John probably died and the name was re-used for the second birth. Common practice then.

I did not see a Peter in 1836. These were the only baptisms in the whole county but as I say not every parish has records for 1820 - 1840.
Elwyn

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 December 19 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Heywood and Elwyn,
Thanks for your recent replies I am slowly wtiting your replies down and trying to compare them with what I have found on the mnotes I have discovered.
Many thanks

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 December 19 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Ireland select births and baptisms

Roscommon and Kilteevan

Joannam  Adly. (Probably Jane) female
12 Aug 1839
Father:   Joannis Adly
Mother:   Joannae Sharky

I agree it looks like "Joannam" therefore female. Was godfather "Henrico Adly"? At first sight I thought it might have been Francisco.  Godmother "Maria Milia" (Melia?).
Source: Catholic Parish Registers at the NLI; Roscommon and Kilteevan Parish, Diocese of Elphin.
https://registers.nli.ie
Baptism register begins 1837, marriage register 1820.
Neighbouring parishes are named on the map. Clicking on one brings up registers for that parish. A few have registers from earlier years e.g. Athleague baptisms, marriages and deaths registers from 1808. Some parishes have death registers for some years pre-dating the start of civil registration of deaths in 1864.
Cowban

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 December 19 19:35 GMT (UK) »
I didn’t look it up Maiden Stone but now I have, yes I agree re Henrico. Henry was Godfather to Francis (of this thread) too.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 December 19 20:08 GMT (UK) »

Maidenstone as Heyward indicates the only death I can find post 1864 is that of Henry Audley who died in 1865 aged 47 suggesting he was born in 1818. As my 'best guess' is that John Audley was born about 1825. This would make Henry 7 years older than John, perhaps they were brothers.

Haywood  You say that Henry was the Godparent to  Francis Audley baptised in 1850 in Kilteeven again supporting the evidence that Henry Audley could be the brother of John Audley.

Or possibly cousins.

A few Audley mentions in Roscommon newspapers, ignoring those about Lord Audley, the Audley Copper Mine in Cork and the popular novel "Lady Audley's Secret".
Francis Audley, "Roscommon Journal & Western Impartial Reporter", 20th April 1861. He may have been the one with a forge, as the news item is about a pump.
Audley father & son, no first names, "Roscommon Messenger", 31st Dec. 1864.
Bartholomew Audley, Roscommon Assizes; "Roscommon & Leitrim Gazette" 22nd March 1828.
Irish Petty Sessions records are on Find My Past. One of my shopkeeper relatives was fined for using incorrect weights. Farmer relatives were fined for straying animals and not buying dog licences. The Dog Licence Register is also on FindMyPast; I found this useful for locating some people between Griffiths' Valuation and 1901 census, e.g. my shopkeeper's eldest son and a son-in-law of one of my farmers each kept a dog.
U.S. newspapers read by Irish people sometimes carried messages from relatives in Ireland.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 22 December 19 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Another set of records for 19thC Ireland is Poverty Relief Loans/ Irish Reproductive Loans Fund/Sustainability Loan Fund. These were micro credit schemes. Some records on Find My Past and Ancestry.
Cowban

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 22 December 19 20:21 GMT (UK) »
The Roscommon & Leitrim Gazette of 22nd March 1828 reports the cases heard at Roscommon Assizes that week. One is a case Maiden Stone mentioned.

Bartholomew Audley was convicted of stabbing, and sentenced to 12 months imprisonment.  No other identifying details are provided, so can’t say whether it’s the same Bartholomew who appears in the Roscommon baptism records. But it’s not a very common name, so it might be.
Elwyn