Author Topic: Short Service Attestation and Medal  (Read 3567 times)

Offline Canadian Goose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Short Service Attestation and Medal
« on: Wednesday 18 December 19 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I have a Short Service Attestation for my grandfather, I think.  Copy attached.  Am not sure of the date it was signed, 1900 or 1910.  These dates seem at odds with the medal I have although the #7885 appears on both. The medal has a small plaque below it showing L. J. McDonald (spelling varies on the last name of everything) 7885, Queens Medal, South Africa 1889-02.  3 bars are attached to the ribbon but can't read them well.  One looks like Belfast, one Cafe Colony? and the other, no idea.  Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Short Service Attestation and Medal
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 06:27 GMT (UK) »
Clasps for the Queen's South Africa Medal:

CAPE COLONY (11 October 1899 – 31 May 1902). For service in the Cape of Good Hope where no clasp for a specific action in the Cape had been received.

BELFAST (26–27 August 1900). Awarded to troops east of a north-south line drawn through Wonderfontein, the garrison and troops quartered at Wonderfontein excluded, west of a north-south line drawn through Dalmanutha Station and north of an east-west line drawn through Carolina in the South African Republic.

See the link below for other clasps -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen%27s_South_Africa_Medal

Tony

Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Would say the date at the bottom of the form reads 1900.
This would be consistent with taking part in the Second Boer War 1899-1902.
The Belfast Clasp dates in August 1900 also tie in with the attestation date in January 1900.

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 07:26 GMT (UK) »
He was 21 years 9 months old when attested - if you know when he was born it would be easy to work out what year it was.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 09:10 GMT (UK) »
GRO Index- Birth . Leo McDonald. June Q 1877. West Derby and Toxteth Park. Mmn Smith.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Tha later sheets of the record give the dates:
Attested 19 Jan 1900 (for a one year engagement)**
S Africa 17 Feb 1900 to 16 Feb 1901
Discharged at his own request 22 Mar 1901

** With the caveat that if the war in S Africa lasted longer then he would stay until no longer required

He served in S Africa with the Volunteer Service Company Royal Irish Regiment.  The VSCs were additional companies sent to reinforce the regular troops of their regiment

The third clasp is Wittebergen.

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Canadian Goose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 December 19 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you MaxD, BrentorBoy, medpat, and tonepad for your help and information.  Leo was born 11 Apr 1877 so the age of 21 yrs. 9 months would only be a year off if the attestation was signed in 1900.  Everything else matches up so I think this is definitely my grandfather.  The info on the medal was greatly appreciated, thank you.  Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays!