Author Topic: Walter William Aston, Comedian of Birmingham - help please  (Read 1351 times)

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walter William Aston, Comedian of Birmingham - help please
« on: Wednesday 18 December 19 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Walter William Aston (or William Walter) born 1872 Birmingham (uncle to my father) was said to be an entertainer in the theatre where he played a one-string fiddle (?) had a dog called Swanky who danced on it's hind legs and dressed in a pierrot costume.  On his marriage certificate in 1901 to Mary Hedley he says his occupation is Comedian and the same given when his daughter - Dora Lily - marries in 1917 to Francis Mullen.  My question is, how can I find out more on Walter William Aston ?   Obviously what I would really want, is to make connection with a descendant who knew all about
him !    But failing that, any help would be much appreciated.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Walter William Aston, Comedian of Birmingham - help please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi could he be the Walter W Aston 18 b Birmingham with family headed by an Ann D Aston 44 Single? in 1891 census?
RG12/2381/37/13
Keyboard86

His birth registration has mothers maiden name Beards

Marriage William Aston to Ann Dora Beards Sept qtr 1868 Birmingham

Was the daughter of Walter W, Dora Lily Aston b c 1897 as she has mothers maiden name Smith, and is shown as Grandaughter aged 4 to Ann Dora Aston in 1901 census
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 14:25 GMT (UK) »
That's the one.   I do have the information you quote.   It is about his life as a comedian /entertainer I would really like information on.  I find it difficult to research ancestors once you get past 1911 census.   I don't think he married Lily Smith, the mother of his daughter, as not found a marriage record.   And he married Mary Hedley in 1901 - I have the marriage cert.  My father used say of him that he belonged to a Pierrot troupe doing shows, and not only did Swanky dance on his hind legs, he also smoked a pipe !   Now there surely has to be some reporting somewhere on that !
I did find this some years ago in a newspaper -  25 April 1901   STAFFORD  .   In the Kings Name. (a play)   … have suitable exponents in Mr Walter Aston and Mr Wilfred Dale   which I presumed was him, though this Walter Aston appears to be an actor not a comedian.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 December 19 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Obviously what I would really want, is to make connection with a descendant who knew all about
him

Have you looked to see if he is any family trees on sites such as Ancestry, or others, and have you looked on here to see if anyone is possibly researching his family (look in Surname Interests, under Your Tools, below)?

What information is in "The Stage"?

Did he leave a will?

Have you found him in 1939?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 December 19 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Just to point out that there could be slight confusion:
GRO
Walter William Aston  mmn Beards  December quarter 1872  Birmingham
Walter Willie Aston  mmn Holyman  December quarter 1871 Kings Norton

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 December 19 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Apart from 'The Stage' there was also 'The Performer' first published in 1906 by the 'Variety Artistes' Federation' which was merged into the actors' guild 'Equity'* in 1966. It might be worth contacting them to see what happened to VAF records.

* That's the British version not the American one.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 December 19 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the replies.
Haven't found him in 1939 - though I think I have found his wife, Mary (Hedley as was) but although named as Mary Aston she is shown as single, so I imagine she is not with Walter.    Of course it doesn't give relationships in 1939 census, but she is living with others who might be related, so needs further exploration. 
Chempat  -  I am happy that the Walter William 1872  mmn Beards, is 'mine'.
As if often the case, looking on one thread, might lead to what you were really wanting, so I will continue !
Where might the papers / magazines mentioned be found ?
I have contacted a few folks who are searching name Aston in Birmingham, found on this website, but did not get very far.

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 December 19 11:07 GMT (UK) »
. . .
Where might the papers / magazines mentioned be found ?
. . .

Try 'British Newspaper Archive' your local library probably has free access.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 December 19 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Macwil   -   my library nor the main Birmingham  library have the BNA available.  I have paid for short membership of BNA at times, so might check that out again.