Author Topic: A taste of Christmas Past!  (Read 5427 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
A taste of Christmas Past!
« on: Wednesday 18 December 19 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Christmas is a time for nostalgia and always brings back memories of the Christmas Cards that I made for my family and friends which sadly were never kept. All I ever asked for at Christmas time was a "A Tin of Paints and a drawing book" which gave me the most pleasure of all the gifts, not that there were many with four of us to buy for.

I always decorated the mirror using flour and water and paints to write a greeting, add holly, a snowman and snow. I also created a scene around the bottom of the artificial Christmas with a log base, using cotton wool for snow, a handbag mirror for the pond and various Christmas cake decorations and items saved from previous years etc, skating figures, sledges, postbox, cats and robins...finished off with a sprinkling of glitter. I also made tree decorations from old Christmas cards and coloured tin foil saved from sweet wrappers.

As environmental issues together with Social Media have impacted on the sending of Christmas cards as awareness of the destruction of Rain Forests grows, i believe that the Christmas card will very soon become a thing of the past, sad, but necessary in the current climate  :-\

I have started to look for and buy old Christmas cards which are a delight. The artwork and designs of Christmas cards have changed so much over the years and I much prefer the old ones.

I hope you enjoy the ones attached...The postcard is dated 1904

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A taste of Christmas Past!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Three more  :D :D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A taste of Christmas Past
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 15:01 GMT (UK) »
I got very nostalgic reading your post Carol.   How very true about the style of greeting cards.  This year I decided to surf the net with the aim of buying a box of "ye olde" style Christmas Cards.   I would have preferred 3-D although it wasn't such a priority, but I didn't see anything suitable and in the end bought from my local shop.

My favourite present as a child was receiving a type of dictionary in the form of a large paint box which had several shades of each colour,. e.g.not just"red" but, peuce, vermillion, scarlet, etc.  I think I probably chose my favourite colour of turquoise from that box.

I was a bit out of step with the fashion when our youngest child first attended school.  For his first Christmas when he needed to exchange cards with his pals I'd bought a large scrap book with various coloured cardboard pages.  Son and I used the coloured pages for small-ish home made Xmas cards, e.g. shape of green Christmas tree with stuck on decorations on red card.  It soon became apparent that son was the only child to make cards and even more surprising was that he received daily orders from other children for him to make them a card too.  :)
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for sharing Rena...your paints must have been more like artist's colours...mine were more like this:

https://www.rubylane.com/item/183041-47-0357/Alice-Wonderland-1950s-Vintage-Page-London

I won a a Christmas Card competition for painting a Christmas Card at school when I was about 8 or 9..it was a lit candle with holly decoration, my prize was a Mars Bar. I took it home and cut it into four to share with my Brothers and Sister, I left my piece in the wrapper on the chair arm to visit the toilet and when I came back, the dog was under the table licking it's lips and my share of the chocolate was gone  :-\ ;D ;D
My Mother bought me another one the next day and said that I could eat it all  :D

Carol

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Impressive little collection.
They don't make 'em like that anymore!  :'(

Did anyone notice the date on the Doll's Bath postcard?  ::) ;D I'll bet it was delivered before Crhistmas day too.  :D
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 16:41 GMT (UK) »
I have others along with New Year and Birthdays one.Yes I noticed, not like today's postal service  :-\  ;D ;D
Carol

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Not so far past but does anyone remember the real candles in their little holders that clipped onto the christmas tree branches that were then lit and s the tree was covered in real flames!

Health and Safety would have a fit these days!

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Carol the cards are so beautiful , thanks for posting them.
I have some that were sent to my family members they are my most treasured items.

As for your Mars Bar  ;D ;D

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 December 19 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Not so far past but does anyone remember the real candles in their little holders that clipped onto the christmas tree branches that were then lit and s the tree was covered in real flames!

Health and Safety would have a fit these days!

Pheno
Oh yes! You had to make sure there was not a branch above the candles.
After tea in on Christmas Day we were allowed to have them burning for a few minutes then Dad ( So Brave) would wet his thumb and forefinger and pinch them out .
Such simple things gave us much pleasure, we were so lucky.
I did not own a watch until I was married ,O.H, got it for my 20 th  Birthday .
I always asked Mum for one but never got one.
Still have it!

However did we eat lunch at one o ‘ clock then tea at five!
Mind you- portions were smaller and not such variety but it was always delicious.
Don’t seem able to reproduce it as Mum made it.
Here is a little verse from an old card which had been used as a bookmark in a book I bought from an antiquarian bookshop.
“ Like the ivy thoughts entwine,
Around true friends at Christmas time.”
Decorated with sprigs of ivy of course.
Around 1900’s I’d say.

Thanks for the memories.
Viktoria.