Author Topic: COLLINGTONS from Suffolk  (Read 5945 times)

Offline Joan McA

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
COLLINGTONS from Suffolk
« on: Saturday 20 August 05 09:47 BST (UK) »
Nathaniel Collington was born about 1600. In his will he left money to the poor of "Layston near Alborough in Suffolk". I assume this to be the modern Leiston. He was ordained at Norwich in 1626 and was appointed curate of "Kellshall" in the archdeaconry of Suffolk. All this leads me to think he might have been born in Suffolk. A search was made of Leiston PRs but no Collingtons were found. Can anyone help with a suggested birthplace?
Also where is Kellshall? (the spelling comes from his ordination record)

Thanks
Joan

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: COLLINGTONS from Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 August 05 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Joan

Co-incidentally there is a Layston and a Kelshall in Hertfordshire.  The nearest parish sounding like Kelshall in Suffolk that I can think of is Kelsale, but I think Herts could be a real possibility.

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Joan McA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 August 05 16:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rick,
I had also found Layston and Kellshall in Hertfordshire. But the wording in my ancestor's will is "Layston near Alborough in the County of Suffolk".  Remember this is a 17C will and spelling of names was very variable so my translation of this into modern place names is "Leiston near Aldeburgh" (they are about 3 miles apart).
As for Kellshall, the Norwich Diocesan records show him appointed to Kellshall in the Archdeaconry of Suffolk. They would not have appointed him to a place in Hertfordshire. There definitely was a Kellshall in Suffolk as internet searches throw up other historical references to it. But what is it called now? Kelsale is a likely bet and actually is not very far from Leiston. 

Joan

Offline chris359

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 August 05 23:28 BST (UK) »
My ancestors from Kelsale are listed variously as from Kelsall, Kellshall and numerous variants, even in the 19th century. I think Kelsale is your parish, without doubt.

Chris
Suffolk: ABBOTT, BISHOP, BUCKLE, BULL, CROUCH, DALBY, DEATH, DIAPER, FAIRWEATHER, LEADER, MEADOWS, NOBLE, PLEASANCE, RANSON, RAYNHAM, RINGE, SCARFE, TAYLOR, WHITE
Essex: SHEPHERD, ASHBY
Norfolk: SCARFE, MICKLEBURGH, MALLOWS, MEADOWS
Northumberland: SCOTT, BEARUP, KIDD, TINLIN
Dorset: MORRIS, GALPIN, WOODLAND
Channel Islands: WAKEHAM

Offline Joan McA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 23:29 BST (UK) »
Chris

Thanks - that's very helpful.

Joan

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 December 05 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Hallo, I apologise for a late contribution to this thread. My eye was caught by the COLLINGTON name because I have come across a similar name (CULLINGTON) amongst baptisms and burials in 1760s Bradfield, Essex just south of Suffolk.
I appreciate that this is not far enough back in time to meet your requirements - and of course there may be no connection between the two names at all. Whether the CULLINGTON name goes back to 1600s in Bradfield I do not yet know.
However I looked at Boyds Marriage index for Essex and found these listed:
Vol 5 1600-1625 (males A-L)
1601 COLLINGTON Jn m Mgt HETHERINGHAM
1621 CULLINGTON Ric m Josian CLARK
1623 CULLINGTON Dan m An WELPDALE
1623 CULLINGTON Dan Eden STOCKDALE

Vol 6 1600-1625(females A-L)
Vol 10 1625-1650 (females A-L)
1626 Josian CULLINGTON m Tho ROOT
1609 Sus CULLINGTON m Wm CHAUSER

all in Harwich, Essex.

Boyds registers do not include all marriages but I have the impression that you had to be fairly posh to be included and your Nathaniel seems to fall into that category. Did you know of a possible Harwich link?

Offline Joan McA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 January 06 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Clincher,
It might be worth looking at Bradfield. My Nathaniel's christening may have been entered as Cullington. Given the period, spellings are not consistent and in fact his entry in Emden's register of early Cambridge graduates does spell his name as Cullington, though in all other records I have found, he is Collington.

He may sound posh but he entered Cambridge as a sizar (student of limited means) so I expect his origins were humble.

I have not found any Harwich connection.

Joan 

Offline kensfk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 August 06 18:03 BST (UK) »
Try Witnessham Burgh Washbrook and Copdock for Cullingtons

Ken

Offline Joan McA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 September 06 12:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestions Ken. I will certainly investigate them. Just out of interest what led you to those villages?