Author Topic: COLLINGTONS from Suffolk  (Read 5935 times)

Offline kensfk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: COLLINGTONS from Suffolk
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 September 06 13:54 BST (UK) »
I have Cullington there

Ken

Offline B Steve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Joan

I haven't checked this out but I found the following Nathanyell Collington bap 27 Dec 1603 at Pettistree, Suffolk to Johes.Collington and Finaeta (nee Ryng married 21 Oct 1600 Pettistree).

Pettistree is near Wickham Market and well on the road towards Aldeburgh and Leiston if you are travelling from Woodbridge! My ancestors originate in Witnesham and Burgh, Suffolk, so could well be a connection.

Regards, Steve

Offline Joan McA

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Steve
That is very exciting. I had almost given up finding him in Suffolk. What you give fits very well - the unusual name Nathanyell (Nathaniel), the closeness to Leiston and the year (the earliest date I have for him is his matriculation at Cambridge in 1622). Many thanks.

You say you haven't checked it out but where did you find  him?

Have you Collington connections? If so we can provide much on his descendants.

Joan

Offline B Steve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 October 11 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Joan

I found them on the new FamilySearch (LDS) website. I do have Cullington ancestors/occasionally listed as Collington. My line goes back to the mid 1600s at Witnesham, but they later lived at Burgh which is very near Pettistree. Interestingly, my wife has a family line that goes back to Pettistree in late 1600s, and I have identified the farm house there where her ancestors once lived.

Steve

Offline Mimicat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 September 12 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

It was very cheering to see the information you posted on Nathaniel Collington- the details do seem to fit.  I had put Nathaniel aside for about a year as I seemed to be getting nowhere.  Possibly there is a connection with Robert Collington of Mickfield mentioned on the National Archives website.  Still have not worked out if Fynet [Finaeta] married Nicholas Ryng or William Ryng or both or if there are 2 Fynets [Finaetas]

Libby

Offline Joan McA

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 September 12 23:27 BST (UK) »
Libby

Fynet/Finaeta was certainly married to William Ryng as this entry in the Pettistree register makes clear:

"16 Oct 1599, William Ryng son of William Ryng deceased who was accidently killed upon Martlesham in the summer last past and Fynet his wife, now a widow, was baptised."

I didn't find the marriage of Fynet and William so I don't know her maiden name.

Joan

Offline Mimicat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 18 September 12 09:57 BST (UK) »
Joan

Thanks for that- definitely William.  I am inclined to think that Finet  mother of Nicholas christened 1597  and Finaet mother of William christened 1599 are 2 different women. Interesting to know where William and Finaet married.

Libby

Offline woodsc1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Joan,
Kellshall is the original name for the village of Kelsale, near Saxmundham, Suffolk. It derives from Kells Hall, Kell was a Viking leader who lived there. I can confirm that you are correct to assume that Layston is the original spelling for nearby Leiston and that Alborough is the original spelling for nearby Aldeburgh.
You may find references to Collingtons at the local church in Kelsale.
It would be a good idea if the place name signs had the original names in brackets underneath the current names.

Hope that this helps. Good luck.
Clive Woods