Author Topic: Marriage Licence 1683  (Read 404 times)

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Licence 1683
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 December 19 21:40 GMT (UK) »
The Derbyshire wills on FindMyPast are a wonderful resource, but their indexing does have problems. The Calendar of Wills and the actual Wills are separate record sets. If you find the person you want in one but not the other then almost always the record is there, but with a different spelling or place or year. In this case the actual will is under Thomas Herneshaw. It doesn't turn up if you search for Hernshaw, even with 'include name variants' ticked.

It's a very short will:

In the name of god Amen I thomas herneshaw of offton Fields in the parish of Southwinfield
weake of bodie but in good and perfect memorie thanks be to god First I bequeath my soule to
god that gave it and my bodie to the earth and my goods in maner as Foloweth

in prime First I make and ordaine my wife Joane herneshaw my Full exseaquetrixe

Item I give to my Brother emanuell hernshaw tweulfe pencs

Item I give to my eldest Sister Elizabeth hernshaw twelf pencs

Item I give to my youngest Sister martha twelf pences

Item all the rest of my goodes Chatels & leaces I give to my wife Joane Hernshaw

in the First yeare of the Raine of our suforain lord king James the second
and in the of our Lourd one thousand Six hundred and eightie Five

Thomas Hernshaw his mark

Thomas more his mark

Daniell[?] Fouke his mark

Henry Soresbie

I'm not sure about the first name of the witness * Fouke. At first glance I thought Samell with a funny 'S' but now I think Daniell is more likely. His mark looks like a modern 'P'.

Probate was granted 20 Sep 1687. There's also an inventory dated 13 Sep 1687, total 86 6s 4d.

The inventory was usually taken soon after the death, so it looks like he wasn't quite as sick as they thought in 1685. He certainly wasn't buried anywhere in 1683.

David

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 December 19 00:06 GMT (UK) »
As DRH found, the actual will is indexed as 'Hernshaw' - I eventually found it by just looking at all the ones for Thomas in 1687! (also indexed for him in the Index Book under Hernshaw)

I'd say the name of the witness is Daniell Foucke

A Thomas Hernshaw married Joan Fouke 6.6.1681 at North Wingfield.
No image available on FindMyPast.

Familysearch are quite good on Derbyshire records.
You could look and see if they have the film for North Wingfield, and if you can view it on-line
I didn't have enough time at the library to do that.
Unlikely there'd be any other info on the marriage entry, but you never know!

Have sent you a pm

Added: I see the heading of your post is 'Marriage Licence 1683'. Then you say in the body of the post it's 1689, so the death of this Thomas in 1687 could still be the one married to Joan Fouke.
Must be another Thomas Earnshaw at Eckington in 1683?
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Senior
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 December 19 18:57 GMT (UK) »
This is great information, thank you everybody.  Apologies, yes the year of the marriage licence was 1689 and yes, the Thomas at Eckington is probably a different one.

Daniel Foucke is a terrific find.  So much better than the usual John, Thomas or William. 

Happy Christmas
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne