Author Topic: A circa 1772 baptism for a James BIRON  (Read 2052 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A circa 1772 baptism for a James BIRON
« Reply #18 on: Monday 23 December 19 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Worth looking into ?
4 will's right hand page Edwin ,George,Isabella and James
http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014894/005014894_00031.pdf

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 23 December 19 14:20 GMT (UK) »

Edwin had just over 4 acres in 1871.

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 23 December 19 15:02 GMT (UK) »

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 23 December 19 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for not responding earlier Sinaan, have been out and about with the pre-Christmas thing, I'm afraid...
However, lots more to look into and ponder now.
And many thanks, Dathai, for further revelations.  Extraordinary that, 4 members of the same family (I Imagine) all appearing on a probate page for 1878.
And Hallmark, I came across on a Landed Estates Database that "The Reverend John BYRON (sic) still held untenanted land in the parishes of Cam and Taghmaconnell in 1906."
I'm still not entirely clear about how strong this family's ties still were with Ireland, even though there seemed to be a general migration by certain of their members to England.
I need to try and make sense of it all with a rather rudimentary grasp of the Irish landscape.  Thanks so much each and everyone of your for your generous input thus far...
Keith
N.B. For whatever reason I'm having trouble getting onto the Familysearch website to follow up these links...

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 23 December 19 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Right, now I've had a proper look at that 1878 page of Wills and Administrations (apologies for referring to it initially as 1828, has been corrected on previous post now!).
I'm not sure I quite understand why these entries for 5 members of the BIRON family who die in the years 1878 (Edwin), 1839 (George), 1836 (Isabella), 1829 (James), and 1869 (Thomas King) should suddenly appear in the same year, and not soon after the year of their deaths.  I suppose the clue could be the death of Edwin in 1878 itself...
Keith

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 23 December 19 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Right, now I've had a proper look at that 1878 page of Wills and Administrations (apologies for referring to it initially as 1828, has been corrected on previous post now!).
I'm not sure I quite understand why these entries for 5 members of the BIRON family who die in the years 1878 (Edwin), 1839 (George), 1836 (Isabella), 1829 (James), and 1869 (Thomas King) should suddenly appear in the same year, and not soon after the year of their deaths.  I suppose the clue could be the death of Edwin in 1878 itself...
Keith

They are Letters of Administration.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 23 December 19 20:44 GMT (UK) »

http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/family-show.jsp?id=1465

At the time of Griffith's Valuation James Byron held an estate in the parish of Cam, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon, which he purchased from George King in 1853. At the same time John Trant held the townland of Kilrush, parish of Thurles, barony of Eliogarty, county Tipperary, from James Byron. In the 1870s the Reverend Edwin Biron [Vicar of Lympne, Kent, 1840-1877] owned 1435 acres in county Roscommon and 513 acres in county Tipperary. In June 1880 property amounting to a total of over 2,400 acres belonging to his son Robert John Biron in counties Roscommon, Kildare, Tipperary and Dublin city was advertised for sale. The Reverend Edmond Byron still held untenanted land in the parishes of Cam and Taghmaconnell in 1906. A son of Robert John Biron, Sir Chartres Biron (1863-1940) was a prominent English lawyer, who was knighted in 1920 .