Author Topic: Searching for Biological Parent of Annie, Born c1873  (Read 12172 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Biological Parent of Annie, Born c1873
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 21 December 19 03:26 GMT (UK) »
How do you connect to the Pethicks?

One tree has a photo profile of grandma Sherry in the garden this has been copied by 6 people ..are any of those on the closed trees?

Click on view photo and then details to see bubbles of who has copied ...the baby photo has been copied once

You can add a comment on these photos to say something like she was my mother's adoptive mother so anyone looking can see where you fit  on tree

I'm passionate  About adoptees knowing their roots and your research is inspirational to others .

Learning the DNA connections is a whole new ball game .
Good luck
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 21 December 19 06:15 GMT (UK) »
BDM VIC death
1590/1909 SIMMONS Sylvia 
Mothers given name:  Hart
Mothers family name: UNKNOWN
Fathers   given name: Walden Corns
Fathers family name:  UNKNOWN
died Glong    age 81

(Is this how to interpret the names?)

Do you have this death certificate?. When Sylvia dies there is someone around who knows about her origins.  Age 81 seems very specific.

Marriage certificate -  "...foster mother from birth " seems more than required.

Just "foster mother" would be enough?.

Geelong Western Public Cemetery
SIMMONS   Sylvia buried 03 Feb 1909   WST-COE-1-807-1084

Contact these folks and ask about any other burials in the same plot.
The Gatehouse, Eastern Cemetery
03 5249 3939   info@gct.net.au   

Thinking aloud...some possibilities....

* Also from reply #17......for all that there might have been a falling out, surely if Sylvia has no children, and took Annie in as a baby, you might think that it would have to be a serious estrangement for them to sever all ties. It would be encouraging to see the name Sylvia among Annie's children. You might see it to be a sense of connection to foster mother Sylvia.

* Annie Mabel May........seems that all these names are important to her.

* Annie Mary May  GARDINER....as mother of her children.

Is she Annie Mabel May GARDINER as mother on her childrens marriage certificates?

Annie Mabel May GARDINER as mother on the death certificates of her children.........I am seeing that on several of the deaths on VIC BDM.

Of significance is the knowledge of Annie's GARDINER name. Time, and generations, can have a diluting effect on family oral history.

Information on marriage certificates,  ie mothers family name, can be informed directly from birth certificates.

Information on death certificates,  ie mothers family name, can be informed directly from birth or marriage certificate of the dead person.

If, at death, the SHERRY - GARDINER children have mother's name recorded, I would consider it is because mother Annie, during her lifetime, has told her children about her family.

It is more effort than the numerous death informants would have sought to find out by accessing earlier documents.

Annie knows about her GARDINER origins.....her children know about her GARDINER origins........but Annie was fostered from birth?

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 21 December 19 06:53 GMT (UK) »
Could mabelmay have been born before Nathaniel's GARDENER s marriage either a child he'd fathered or Ellen's child
Was she the eldest ?

That could be why she was fostered out

Or could she be daughter of Sylvia.s step son or foster daughter .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 21 December 19 07:04 GMT (UK) »
An observation of no particular help, but I do note out of her 5 daughters,(as listed by wivenhoe) each with 2 given names, Annie has not give one the name Sylvia.

A good observation Sue i.e. it would be interesting to know who registered Sylvia's death.

As Annie married as Simmons it does make one wonder if it was after this Sylvia broke the news of not being her biological mother which may have caused an estrangement.

Seems quite a sad story if that's what happened  :-\

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Leanne Pethick

• RootsChat Extra
  • In search of Annie Mabel May's parents
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 21 December 19 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie, :)

Yes, very possible. 
Certainly an idea I hadn't thought of.  Nothing to be done 'name-wise' to find her if this is the case!

Just a thought but...
Is it possible Annie may have been a 'Foundling' i.e. named after the people who found her & surname Gardener e.g. if found under a bush & when she was fostered by Sylvia, the info. on foundling may not have been told & only her name given then when Annie married & had her 1st child, Sylvia thought it was maybe the right time to tell the truth as to Annie's 'birth name' which may not be fact if she was a foundling?

Annie
I am fortunate to have the most wonderful parents! Both still alive and well into their 80s.

Offline Leanne Pethick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 21 December 19 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Time to confess what a mess I have made in Ancestry.  "I" have (and am paying for!  :'()
2 accounts...

1. 'Buggie Pethick' which has the  Canning Family Tree.  (Annie's daughter Eileen married Joe Canning, and mum is one of their 6 children). All her grandchildren call my Mum 'Buggie' (long story).  I registered this one for her when we gave mum & Dad DNA tests for Father's day in September 2018, and since then have done a mountain of work on her family tree in there.

2. Leanne Pethick (might be Leanne_2014)  This has:
    1.1 Len & Shirley Pethick FT which I started back in 2014 and contains my first work on Mum's FT, and all the work I have done on Dad's.   
    1.2 Canning Family Tree 2019 - After learning that I could 'manage' more than one DNA test in an account, about a month ago I exported the 'Canning Family Tree' data from Buggie Pethick's account and imported it into my / this account, and called it 'Canning Family Tree 2019'.

So for the past month, any work I do on Mum's FT, I do in my account - ie in the Canning Family Tree 2019.

It is only in the last month that I have been on my 'Find Annie Mabel May's biological parents' quest with a manic determination lol. 

So Canning Family Tree https://www.ancestry.com.au/family-tree/tree/154780646/family owned by Buggie Pethick has the most information, photos etc of Annie, her husband and children... 

Canning Family Tree 2019 https://www.ancestry.com.au/family-tree/tree/165067593/family owned by Leanne Pethick (or Leanne_2014 - don't quite understand what shows!) has all the information I have found or suspect about Annie's 'parents'.   

Am not used to asking for help, and only found this rootschat last night in doing one of many google searches for something.  If only I had know about it, and how incredibly helpful people are, earlier!

I have just posted a new question asking if it is possible to 'Transfer' a tree from one account to another here https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=823016.0
I am fortunate to have the most wonderful parents! Both still alive and well into their 80s.

Offline Leanne Pethick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 21 December 19 08:41 GMT (UK) »

brigidmac Reply #14
Yes, DNA test is from Ancestry and it is currently linked to Canning Family Tree in Buggie's Account.
I have pasted your suggestion in my 'Research to be done' for Annie - thanks heaps for the suggestion! *star*

brigidmac Reply #15 & #16
Yes, my Canning great grandmother had twin boys born at sea - the poor woman!!  All the records actually do give 'born at sea' (with the latitude & longitude :) :)
Again, pasted your notes into my 'Todo' list.  Only ever found ships records through Ancestry.com

Mum's 'Ethnicity' = 88% Ireland & Scotland (pity they don't separate these!); 12% England, Wales & Northern Europe

Yes, that's Grandma Annie :)
In Annie's record in Canning FT 2019 https://www.ancestry.com.au/family-tree/person/tree/165067593/person/172148510001/facts
I have created an 'image' of a "HELP PLEASE" notice - and used this as her profile pic in the hope that someone will see it who can help... but all her photos are in there now.  Have some gems :)

Offline Leanne Pethick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 21 December 19 08:43 GMT (UK) »
A GREAT point Sue!!!
Will add this to the 'evidence' that Annie and Sylvia were estranged.  Thank you so much for posting!
Now going to google 'wivenhoe' - never heard of it *blush* :)
Warm Regards
Leanne

An observation of no particular help, but I do note out of her 5 daughters,(as listed by wivenhoe) each with 2 given names, Annie has not give one the name Sylvia.

Sue

Offline Leanne Pethick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 21 December 19 08:47 GMT (UK) »
How do you connect to the Pethicks?

One tree has a photo profile of grandma Sherry in the garden this has been copied by 6 people ..are any of those on the closed trees?

Yes, that's me - as explained earlier.  Mum (Shirley Canning, Daughter of Eileen Sherry, Daughter of Annie) married Len Pethick.
An example of how important filing is!  Before starting to reply here I noticed this photo had been saved by people and had the same thought as you.
Will definitely go and contact them.