Author Topic: Searching for Biological Parent of Annie, Born c1873  (Read 12157 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Biological Parent of Annie, Born c1873
« Reply #126 on: Thursday 02 January 20 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Have we examined records to learn what happened to the following baby girl and/or her mum?  (her parent/s are named in the article  :) )

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/147274685 Geelong Advertiser 13 August 1873

The Crown Prosecutor declined to proceed with the case, and the prisoner was discharged.

I have not found the birth registration for the little baby girl,  born on or before 20th June 1873... so aged 18 in 1891...  :)

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Leanne Pethick

• RootsChat Extra
  • In search of Annie Mabel May's parents
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Friday 03 January 20 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM,

I did some quick searches and like you, nothing popped up for this child.  The fact that it was left at the home of the father... and even the prosecutor didn't think that the intention was to 'abandon' it as such...

And while looking for more information, I did a search on Abandoned child in 1873 and found this one.. https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/202521414
Interestingly it was a married woman, Sarah Simmons, who found the child!
Doesn't say if the child was male or female though.

Off to check it out.
Amazing how many babies were murdered or abandoned alive in 1873! :(

EDIT >  Was a male child "william Herbert" https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/202521414
Back to the drawing board...
I am fortunate to have the most wonderful parents! Both still alive and well into their 80s.

Offline Leanne Pethick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Friday 03 January 20 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Actually JM, am back to the one you originally posted.
Found an additional article that gives different info on it... including a (hard to read) father's name, and that the female infant was about 1 month old.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/245371858
Going to do some more BDM searching....
I am fortunate to have the most wonderful parents! Both still alive and well into their 80s.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Friday 03 January 20 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Fathers' name looks like Roche?

Name of mother Sarah (Ann) Bensch/Beach, difference in spelling may have been down to pronunciation?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Friday 03 January 20 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Birth at Vic BDM

Adelaide Roche BINCH  in 1873. 

Sorry,  at 4 a.m. in morning and I am on e reader,  contacting living family.   

I am not suggesting Adelaide was Annie,  but I am suggesting that  it may be useful to research how the then 'system' dealt with Adelaide and her parents to learn how Annie may have ended up with Sylvia as her foster mum.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Saturday 04 January 20 07:23 GMT (UK) »
It looks to me like there was more than 1 abandoned baby that year yes it would be interesti g to know how authorities dealt with it
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Saturday 04 January 20 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Just as a matter of interest to you.
I have an original resource of the Victorian Pioneer Index- the complete (??) listing of BMDs for Victoria to 1888.

Due to it's formatting, one can carry out searches with wildcards and so search for every baby registered in Geelong in 1873 whose parents (one or both) were surnamed Gardiner or variations thereof. I used G*R.

I carried out the exercise for 1872 also.
The result was not especially  helpful :(

There was not a female child registered meeting all criteria.

Of course there are surrounding registration districts to be considered.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Leanne Pethick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Friday 24 January 20 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Sue, I thought I had replied!
My very sincere thanks to everyone for your efforts.  Thought I would pop back and give an update.

My husband and I went down to Anakie and Geelong and visited 2 of the local history / family tree research groups as well as the Geelong Regional Library's Heritage Centre.   Some of the bits I / we had found had the actual documents only available from these places.

I was hoping for 2 things in particular.  The hospital record from when the Mary Anne Simmonds went to hospital in 1884 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/150164163, and school records.

Alas, there are 16 years just missing from the hospital records and these include the years from when Annie would have been about 5yo until after she was married, and there are no school records there at all. 
Have searched through all the State Library records and Prov records with no success.

Have also been spending many hours wading through Mum's DNA matches to identify those that are matches through her other 3 sets of grandparents, those that are matches through 'Sherry' (Annie's husband's family) etc and have 2 small groups of possible matches through Annie.
Strangely, they are all more distant than I would have hoped.  Looking at other matches whom we know, and using these to estimate the possible 'predicted relationships' for Mum with Annie's parents, it appears that either Annie's parents either had no other children (so the match is through their parents) or the descendents just haven't taken DNA tests... yet.

Am going to bite the bullet this weekend and order an mtDNA test in the hope that this will help, as Annie is right up our female line.

Anyway, really just wanted to let you all know that I haven't - and won't - give up trying to find them! :)

Warmest
Leanne

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Saturday 01 February 20 08:51 GMT (UK) »
I hope you get the answer to who Annie really was. I've read this topic with great interest and think all the research has been brilliant.