Author Topic: look up Orkney Sasines in National Records Office, Edinburgh please  (Read 2784 times)

Offline PipB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
look up Orkney Sasines in National Records Office, Edinburgh please
« on: Saturday 21 December 19 15:16 GMT (UK) »
The Sasines are the record of transfers of land in Scotland - The original documents are held in the National Records Office, Edinburgh:

(1) the reference for this transaction is "#384, Jun 18, 1877". Is anyone going to Edinburgh who can look it up for me please!!!
The short version of it reads: Registry of Deeds showing transfer of properties) for Orkney and Zetland , 1877, number 384:  18 June 1877.
Disp. by WILLIAM CORSIE jun., sometime Merchant in Kirkwall, Orkney, now residing at Bruce in Ontario, Upper Canada, North America, to Thomas Omand, Carpenter, residing in the Island of Eday in Orkney,– of Area of ground (32 Poles) bounded on the north west by the Road to Mill Street, in Parish of Saint Ola and Mainland of Orkney, being part of the 9 Penny lands of PAPDALE and others, particularly described in Sasine in favour of Frederick Dundas, recorded in General Register of Sasines 26th Dec 1854. Dated May 30, 1877; with Warrant of Registration thereon, on behalf of Thomas Omand.

(2) I am wondering if Thomas OMOND [or OMAND] sold land in Eday in order to buy the land in Kirkwall when they moved into town in their retirement. Is someonw able to look that up for me either in Edinburgh or Kirkwall.

Many thanks from his descendant living in Tasmania!

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: look up Orkney Sasines in National Records Office, Edinburgh please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 December 19 17:45 GMT (UK) »
The entry in the Register is all that can be seen in Edinburgh; you will  have to use the reference if you wish to purchase the actual disposition to view - they used to cost about £20 - I am not sure what the charge is now. You should ask for the cheaper 'quick copy' which cannot be used for legal proof/purposes. You can do this by email & the paper copy will be posted to you.

Each property has a unique  numbered search sheet within each county. First Series were superceded by Second Series in the late 19th century - 1877 is around that time. They are indexed in 2 indexes - under address and nameof owner. I suggest you contact someone who can access the online index for the Registers to determine the search sheets for [1] the property of 32 poles in Mill Street [2] Thomas Omand - this will give the property search sheet numbers for all the properties he owns/ever owned & they can be downloaded, which will give addresses & dates of acquisition. I used to have access when I was working but sadly no longer do.  SOme researchers will have access, there are also 'search firms' - both will charge.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: look up Orkney Sasines in National Records Office, Edinburgh please
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 December 19 03:38 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering if you've had a look at the VRs (Valuation Rolls) on SP which show a number of properties with 'a' William Cosie as Proprietor as well as where he was Tenant Occupier.

It will be a little time consuming but if you list all, then go back & go through all properties in the name of e.g. Frederick Dundas/Thomas Ormond, this will give you an idea if any transferred & to whom?

I did a quick check...

F Dundas (Esquire) was a Proprietor at Mill Street in 1855 although I haven't gone through all his history as said it's time consuming.
W Corsie was Proprietor of property Off Mill Street & others 1865 although I haven't gone through his history.

Hope this helps.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"