Author Topic: Mendham Parish Records - PATRICK  (Read 360 times)

Offline bouncymouse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mendham Parish Records - PATRICK
« on: Thursday 26 December 19 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Please could someone help me to look up the Mendham parish records? Using FreeREG, I found William Patrick was baptized in Mendham All Saints on 19 April 1739, the son of William and Isabella. However, unfortunately FreeREG does not go back much further than this. I would be very interested to find the date of William and Isabella's marriage, as well as William (senior)'s birth, who his parents were and any more details of the Patrick line going back from this. Thank you very much for your help in advance!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Mendham Parish Records - PATRICK
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 December 19 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

Mendham PR's on freereg do go back prior to 1739, searching 'Smith' 'Powell' and 'Baker' there are marriage records in 1670's.  It is likely that they moved into the parish around the time of young Williams baptism
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bouncymouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 December 19 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your insight, it is helpful. In that case, I would be highly grateful if anyone with access to the Mendham parish records could help me look up the 1739 baptism of William Patrick, to see whether there is any note as to where William and Isabella came from, or some other clues that may help me in my search, such as Isabella's maiden name. Thank you everyone for your help!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 December 19 10:54 GMT (UK) »
In case they are later relevant, Freereg for Mendham also has around the same time as William's baptism two 'Patrick' marriages

All Saints, Mendham, Suffolk
10 Sep 1732
Robert Patrick of the parish of Aldbrow (single)
Anne Owen of the parish of Metfield (single)

24 May 1740
James Powel
Rebecca Patrick
both of the parish

Baptisms of children in the parish to William & Isabel/la
William 1739
John 1742
Thomas 1744
Mary 1746
Robert 1749
James 1751
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bouncymouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 December 19 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks! I saw these too.

FreeReg also lists the burial of Jemima (widow of William Patrick) aged 59 in Mendham in 1783. I think, from the timing, she may have been William senior's second wife.

Phillimore Marriage Registers (through FindMyPast) has a listing for a Henry Patrick in Metfield in 1730.

Interestingly, FamilySearch lists baptisms for a Robert (1706), Henry (1707) and William (1721) Patrick in Homersfield, which is near to Alburgh (Aldbrow?). However, I could not find any baptism listing for Rebecca, so this could be a coincidence.

I also have no birth or marriage record for Jemima, and no birth, marriage or burial record for Isabel(la). I am wondering whether some of these could be in parishes not available through FreeReg, such as Withersdale or Weybread?

Thanks again for your help!