Author Topic: Bastardy record look-up request: Arthur Frederick 'Wood'  (Read 1599 times)

Offline lauraholland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bastardy record look-up request: Arthur Frederick 'Wood'
« on: Thursday 26 December 19 16:07 GMT (UK) »
My x2 great grandfather appears to be illegitimate with no father showing on his birth cert.

His mother is Jane Townsend Childerhouse, and he was born in April 1887 in Norwich.

I did look at trying to subscribe to the genealogist but it seemed quite steep for just one record, I should be receiving the digital copy of his birth cert end of this month so I'll add to here when it comes through if this hasnt been solved by then.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Bastardy record look-up request: Arthur Frederick 'Wood'
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 December 19 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

His birth was registered as Wood - no mmn

In 1891 mother Jane is shown as Wood - married - and also has a 13yr old daughter Beatrice.  She is living with her widowed mother Mary Ann Childerhouse aged 79

Beatrice was registered 1877 as Wood - mmn Childerhouse

I'm not seeing any bastardy record for Arthur on the free search on The Genealogist
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 December 19 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat!

I think The Genealogist offers 14 day free trial!

https://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/account/signup/?14day=1&from=%2Fsecure%2F14-day%2F%3Ftrial%3D3540%26discount_code%3D%26transfer%3D5262

BUT remember to cancel prior to the end of the period!

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 December 19 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Jane Childerhouse married William Wood in 1875 per www.freebmd.org.uk so looks like Beatrice was legitimate

In 1881 they also have a son William - all b Norwich

William Wood 25 carpenter
Jane 22
Beatrice 3
William 1
RG11/1939/97/22

In 1891 William Wood 34 has a 33yr old housekeeper Betsy Heazel plus a 10yr old Edith (Betsy's illegitimate dtr) & a 3yr old William Bertie Wood born Dec qtr 1887 - no mmn shown

Looks like William Bertie and Arthur Frederick were born within months of each other
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline lauraholland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 December 19 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Jane Childerhouse married William Wood in 1875 per www.freebmd.org.uk so looks like Beatrice was legitimate

In 1881 they also have a son William - all b Norwich

William Wood 25 carpenter
Jane 22
Beatrice 3
William 1
RG11/1939/97/22

In 1891 William Wood 34 has a 33yr old housekeeper Betsy Heazel plus a 10yr old Edith (Betsy's illegitimate dtr) & a 3yr old William Bertie Wood born Dec qtr 1887 - no mmn shown

Looks like William Bertie and Arthur Frederick were born within months of each other

Thank you, there were rumours that Arthur Frederick was the lodger’s son, so was William Bertie the son of Betsy Heazel? That is a name I havent heard mentioned before. At all.

There is definitely no father listed on the birth cert for AF. Later on in some census a Charles A Coe is listed as father just to confuse things.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 December 19 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Yes - I’m sure William Bertie was Betsy’s son and that William Wood was his father.  He was registered as Wood

What’s puzzling me is that there is a son William aged 1 in 1881 but I can’t find a death for him pre 1891 or find him on the 1891 or 1901

He was William Samuel b Sept qtr 1879 and they also had Herbert John b Sept qtr 1881.  In 1901 Herbert John is a boarder in Manchester

Offline lauraholland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 December 19 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes - I’m sure William Bertie was Betsy’s son and that William Wood was his father.  He was registered as Wood

What’s puzzling me is that there is a son William aged 1 in 1881 but I can’t find a death for him pre 1891 or find him on the 1891 or 1901

He was William Samuel b Sept qtr 1879 and they also had Herbert John b Sept qtr 1881.  In 1901 Herbert John is a boarder in Manchester

This is what I have for Arthur Frederick and his siblings (that I know of) as you can see William S is there, but you are correct I have no further record of him. Also a Herbert John.

*edit* can't work out to post an image so here is the link to my ancestry tree: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/74972665/person/40371175111/story

The whole Betsy thing is news to me, as I heard that AF was the lodger's son, but what confuses me on his birth cert is that he is registered as Wood but the father isn't noted, which seems strange to me.

So it seems this opens up more questions than it answers.  ???

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 December 19 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Admission to the workhouse in Norwich, 31 Oct 1883
Jane Wood 26
Beatrice 6
Willm Jam? 4
Herbert John 2

May say Husbd deserted?
Discharged next day!
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6MZW-4BP?i=2250&cc=1824706&cat=495724

Offline lauraholland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 December 19 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Admission to the workhouse in Norwich, 31 Oct 1883
Jane Wood 26
Beatrice 6
Willm Jam? 4
Herbert John 2

May say Husbd deserted?
Discharged next day!
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6MZW-4BP?i=2250&cc=1824706&cat=495724

OK, I have downloaded that to add to Jane.

It still doesn't answer my question of who Arthur Frederick's father is though? I am confused why he would be registered as a Wood but then William not put as the father?

The workhouse info above is 4 years before he was born, so useful for a wider context.