Author Topic: Jospeh Rice - Philadelphian Theatre Owner?  (Read 369 times)

Offline BingoBuster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jospeh Rice - Philadelphian Theatre Owner?
« on: Thursday 26 December 19 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone! I posted a little bit earliet this year for assistance on help with finding out more about the Riano brothers and greatly appreciate the assistance, as grest strides were made! So thank you.

My current headscratcher involves some information regarding Irene Riano's father. I've linked the old thread page for reference.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=806577.72

I've kept coming across that her father is Joseph Rice, a theater owner from Philadelphia on both wikia and find a grave and a few other sites. Now i know these can be edited and such but i have not been able to find anything regarding him in my research as i have little to go off on aside from these blurbs and the fact he worked in show business and it fits with Irene's background in entertainment.

I've come across one issue that she may not be related to this man and was actually born in ohio in 1874 and died in 1940 in Los Angelas, California. Her maiden name may have been Couples but that's been up for debate. Im curious if I'm on the right track with Couples or if Joseph Rice is in fact her father and there's a mix up of indfomation?

Any assistance would be appreciated to get me on the right track. Thank you as always!

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jospeh Rice - Philadelphian Theatre Owner?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 December 19 23:31 GMT (UK) »
From what we found on the first thread, I'd say that Irene's father was Joseph B Couples, of Madison County, Ohio, married to Mary Ann Charters. Both Irene and her sister Carrie used the name Rice at one time or another. I don't know where that name came from.

1880 with wife (deceased) and 2 daughters in Clark Co. Ohio
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MZ1J-L7N

One of the replies on that thread mentioned Cincinnati.

Joseph B Couples is in the Cincinnati City Directories from 1882 to 1889 with various occupations. He owned or ran a restaurant, was a solicitor, a baker, and a barber, unless they heard "baker" wrong.

In 1889 the listing included both daughters:

1889 Cincinnati City Directory
Couples Carrie, bookkeeper, home 10 Pleasant
    Irene, actress, same address
    Joseph B, barber, same address

They aren't in Cincinnati in 1890, but in 1891 to 1894 they are in the NYC City Directories. Maybe later as well, but the collection at ancestry.com isn't too good for 1895 to 1902, which is when I stopped looking.

By 1891 Irene is using the surname Rice:
1891 New York City Directory
    Couples, Jos B, baker house 244 W 31st
    Rice, Irene actress, house 244 W 31st

In 1892 Irene and her sister Caroline are together at a different address on the same street as their father, and in 1894 there is a listing for them but not their father. All the listings in NYC were as Irene Rice.

---------
Here is Carrie E Couples using the name Rice as a 2nd given name:

Passport Application for Carrie Rice Couples
born 5 October 1869, Madison County, Ohio
signed 22 October 1895, Kings County, New York
witness: Simon J Lowenthal

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q24F-FDPN

And the UK Passenger Arrivals have her arriving Southampton, 8 November 1895 as
Mrs Carrie Rice Couples, 45, wife
with Miss Pearl Rice, 8

The 1880 census said Carrie's middle initial was "E" not "R".

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 December 19 23:41 GMT (UK) »
As for Philadelphia, there is a Walnut St Theater in Philadelphia.

There is no Couples or Irene Rice in the Phila. City Directory for 1895 or 1900. Joseph B Couples is not turning up on the 1900 Census.

---
He wasn't listed in the 1894 NYC Directory, but his daughters were. He'd have been only 54. Did he retire, die, or move, or was he no longer working because both daughters were?

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 December 19 23:45 GMT (UK) »

In 1892 Irene and her sister Caroline are together at a different address on the same street as their father, and in 1894 there is a listing for them but not their father. All the listings in NYC were as Irene Rice.

Joseph Bryant COUPLES died 13 June 1894
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2W66-8P3

Offline BingoBuster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 December 19 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for the confirmation. I was skeptical but it was interesting to see that my original hunch was correct and nit to try and go down a rabbit hole of trying to fond the jospeh rice of the wikias and websites. Thanks for the feed back, I greatly appreciate it!