Author Topic: Wade family  (Read 1461 times)

Offline dakanb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wade family
« on: Friday 27 December 19 16:12 GMT (UK) »
I am looking to find some information on my great great grandfather Joseph Wade.  I know that he was born around 1852 in German and his father was called Thomas James Wade.   I am unable to find any record of his birth and don't know who his mother was.  He is recorded on the 1861 census at a house in Malew with a lady named Jane Gale and her daughter and brother. 

He married Margaret Kelly and they had three sons, Joseph, John James and Robert.  Robert died as a baby.  After the death of their mother Joseph and John James were sent to Canada as British Home Children.  After that Joseph married my great great grandmother. 

Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Wade family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 December 19 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

You say you know his father was Thomas James Wade.  Joseph married Margaret Kelly 16.11.1878 so is that info from the marriage cert or from some other documentation?  Any occupation for Thomas?

You say he was b in German (1861) but 1871 & 1881 show Malew

When did Margaret die?

After that Joseph married my great great grandmother. 

In 1891 there is a Joseph Wade b 1854 German who is married to an Ellen.  Eldest child born 1889/90
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 December 19 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat from me too.

There is this interesting article in the Isle Of Man Times, Saturday,  Feb. 17, 1877. Doesn't give you any further information except that it implies his father is still alive?

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 December 19 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello
There is a burial for a Thomas James Wade at Braddan I of Man 29 .8.1879 age 48 so born c 1831.
It looks like they are at German in 1861 at Ballclough
Thomas Wade 28 ag lab German
Jane 28 Patrick
Thomas 6 German  (bapt 23.7.1854)
Eleanor J 4  (bapt 5.4.1857)
John 1 (bapt 4 Sep 1859)German

Thomas married Jane Lace at Partick 7 June 1852 fathers Thomas Wade and John Lace.

Jane bapt 6.1.1833 d of John and Anne  Lace nee Kelly at Partick
Thomas bapt German 19.6.1831 s of Thomas and Ann Wade nee Corkhill

1871 Poorton Road Wade's House German
Jane fisherman's wife 37
Eleanor 13
John 11
Edward 8   (Edward Lace bapt 5.3.1863)
Ann 5
William 2

I can't see a baptism for Joseph and he doesn't seem to be with the family on the census.
I did wonder whether perhaps he was born just before the marriage.If they married in June she must already have been pregnant at the very least.

Ciderdrinker

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 December 19 13:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm away from home at the moment - Christmas with daughters and grandchildren ;D
Not back on the Isle of Man until 5th January - can take a look then.

Incidentally, ciderdrinker, the parish is Patrick (not Partick) ;D
And the residence is likely to be Ballaclough ;) (There are hundreds of placenames on the island with Balla as a prefix)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline dakanb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 December 19 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi CaroleW, Joseph's father's name is on Joseph's marriage certificates.  I haven't seen any mention of the father's occupation. His first wife Margaret died in 1885.  It is confusing as to where he was born as some documents say Malew although most of them say German.  The Ellen on the 1891 census is my great great grandmother and their child is my great grandmother Margaret. 

Maddys52, thank you very much for the interesting article.  As you say is proves his father was still alive at that point.

Ciderdrinker, I have come to the same conclusions as you and believe that his parents may be Thomas Wade and Jane Lace.  So far I haven't found anyone else it could be and I am also wondering about the pregnancy and the birth overlapping. 

KGarrad, very kind of you, thank you.  Any help would be wonderful.

I have managed to track down the family of Joseph Wade junior who was sent to Canada as a British Home Child.  His daughter in law is 91 and she is looking for the same information as I am.  I would love to fill in the gaps for her and her family.