Author Topic: Settie Matilda Parker  (Read 1254 times)

Offline ddraigcelt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Settie Matilda Parker
« on: Friday 27 December 19 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone,
          I've hit a brick wall on my second great aunt, Settie Matilda Parker. Settie was born in June 1885 in the Registration District of Merthyr Tydfill (birth index 1837 - 1915; volume 11a; page 572) to John Parker and Mary James. She had two brothers, James John Parker and Joseph Parker (my great grandfather) and a sister Annie Mary Parker.

I can find her on two census records, the 1891 census (RG12/4410/105 p 31 reg. dist. Pontypridd; sub. reg. dist. Eglwysilan)
and the 1901 census (RG13/4997/170 p26). But that's it. What I would like to find out is what happened to her. She had reached the age of 16 by 1901, did she marry or did she die? If I could find a marriage record I could search for her married name.

On a side note, her name Settie, is this a common name or is it a version of another name? Any help on this would be gratefully received.   

Regards, David
Parker

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Settie Matilda Parker
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 December 19 16:41 GMT (UK) »
I’ve just found her birth and the 1891 and 1901 censuses but nothing else. I have to say that i’ve never heard of the name though, and can’t think what it could be 🤔
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 December 19 16:45 GMT (UK) »
There is a death on freebmd for a Settie M Turner aged 43 in OND 1928 but can t find a marriage.
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 December 19 16:50 GMT (UK) »
There is a death on freebmd for a Settie M Turner aged 43 in OND 1928 but can t find a marriage.
Cathy

That looks good as her age matches the birth.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 December 19 16:54 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage of a Lettie Maud Parker to Thomas Henry Turner in March quarter 1905, Pontypridd. Vol 11a, page 911  :-\

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 December 19 17:29 GMT (UK) »
She's definitely Lettie Maud - newspaper story about her marriage difficulties

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/4185311/4185314/53/

Offline ddraigcelt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 December 19 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank You very much for your replies i'm very grateful for your help, I shall definitely look into Lettie Maud Turner and see if she's the right person.
                                                                Kind Regards, David
Parker

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 12:04 GMT (UK) »
There's a coroner's report in the paper 27 Nov 1928 Western Mail page 8. This reports on the inquest on the Monday relating to the death of Lettie Maud Turner. It says she was 43 and a housekeeper at 3 Grafton Rd Newport, who died in the operating theatre of the Royal Gwent Hospital on the Friday. Dr Boyd ordered ger removal to hospital after she complained of stomach pains. Operation was found to be imperative and was perfomred by Dr Acomb. Afterwards her breathing gradually ceased. Cause of death was shock and blood poisoning due to peritonitis. The anaesthetic had nothing to do with the death. A verdict in acordance with the medical evidence was recorded. The coroner observing he was satisfied that the operation was necessary and skilfullty performed.

Offline ddraigcelt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 January 20 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank You Sam thats great ill look into the article , Regards
Parker