Author Topic: 1939 Register  (Read 2633 times)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1939 Register
« on: Friday 27 December 19 20:14 GMT (UK) »
"In 1939, the National Registration Act ordered a register of everybody living in the UK – for the purpose of issuing identity cards, ration books and call-up papers". But surely not 14, 15 and 16 year olds. But they had to eat too? I cannot remember how they were handled. On my own family the redactor redacted my mother who was of age and not my uncle who was under age. Did not really matter as I knew my mother's full information. Scotland is getting closer to opening up their records too. As for Northern Ireland did they have registration?   

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 December 19 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Everybody who was alive on THE date in 1939 was registered - however old they were.  Just enter a "forename" and a year of birth, say, 1938, and there are a lot of people.  I entered a forename of William and a birth year of 1938 and there are over 10,000 names.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 December 19 20:48 GMT (UK) »
"In 1939, the National Registration Act ordered a register of everybody living in the UK – for the purpose of issuing identity cards, ration books and call-up papers". But surely not 14, 15 and 16 year olds. But they had to eat too? I cannot remember how they were handled. On my own family the redactor redacted my mother who was of age and not my uncle who was under age. Did not really matter as I knew my mother's full information. Scotland is getting closer to opening up their records too. As for Northern Ireland did they have registration?   

Everyone was registered (I have a record for a mother and a new baby born days prior to the compilation of the register).
The redaction limits (applied when the register was released) are widely documented, those who were born less than 100 years ago - unless they died in the UK between 1939 and the release date AND were subsequently marked as such whilst the NHS updated the records or have since been unredacted by submission of a death cert (either UK or elsewhere) by current researchers who have that info.

Boo

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 December 19 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 December 19 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 December 19 00:44 GMT (UK) »

Sorry but the above is not correct, not everybody living in the UK was registered those in the forces were not registered unless they were on leave.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline juno

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 June 20 15:54 BST (UK) »
I have found this Site confusing. What were the general rules on the name entry.?

I have found my husband, but not his sister, I am on my parents entry of address, but redacted- presumably becuse I am still alive.

My aunt then 18, has both husbands added - one as late as 1980- she died in 1984.  I believe the NHS do the later entries?

I am now looking for 3 children born 1929/1935. - Their mother died in 1937, and the father in the RAF by 1941.

So what happened to them 1937- 1945?  And where would I look?

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 June 20 16:11 BST (UK) »
They may have been evacuated? Evacuation took place prior to the register being compiled. Name and birth year search in the entire register 'perhaps' could bring them up if they are not in the area you expected to find them.

Boo

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 June 20 16:28 BST (UK) »
I have found this Site confusing. What were the general rules on the name entry.?

It was like a census, who was living there on that date.  People in the armed forces did not generally appear on there as they were 'accounted for' elsewhere. 

As you say it was updated by the NHS until the early 1990's so should show a change in womens surnames if they married after that date.  Like a census it is not reliable, birthdates can be wrong. Depending as to whether you are using Ancestry or FindMyPast names of the deceased or over 100 should have been redacted though they are known to still be redacted and those that should still be covered are sometimes uncovered.

If you have a sub to F M P and a death certificate you can get a covered entry revealed, it will cost you to have it uncovered if you don't have a sub.  F M P  is continually opening records, I understand that Ancestry does them less often.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk