Author Topic: 1939 Register Folkestone:  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1939 Register Folkestone:
« on: Saturday 28 December 19 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi All…
Can someone tell me how to uncover what was written under the top black line ?

In fact, I’m researching my uncle Frank Edward Wood who, in 1939 was about 17 years old.  He, his younger brother (my father) and their mother (divorced) lived in Folkestone…, not that far from Harvey Street.

Now, as far as I know, Frank didn’t live at this address. (the reason for my question)  However, he married Rita Beryl Whittingstall in 1945; (just under the black line) and I don’t understand why her name was scored out and had ‘Wood’ inserted.   She is only 14 years old here !

Is it possible she was expecting and he was ‘doing his duty’ before going off to war…, only to marry when the war ended ?

Thanks in advance…, Iain. 

Note:  I don’t have his exact birth date but I do know he was born in 1922. 
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register Folkestone:
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 December 19 14:47 GMT (UK) »
The register was used for ration books and therefore kept up to date. Rationing went on into the 1950s. From 1948 the NHS used the register and until the 1990s they updated it.

Due to the 100 yr rule those still alive or those who died after the NHS stopped updating will be redacted. Some deaths have been recorded post NHS. My mother's death in 2005 is still redacted but as she would have been 100 next year I haven't bothered to inform FindMyPast or Ancestry.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 December 19 15:07 GMT (UK) »
'DJH' in the first column is the district where the marriage took place (Eastry), and above it would be the marriage date but you can't quite see it.  Have a look down the page for further examples.

It is hard to know which entries are supposed to be redacted on that page.

Debra  :D

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 December 19 15:15 GMT (UK) »
I would hazard a guess that the hidden name is another member of the Whittingstall family.

Rita's mother's maiden surname was Oliver.

A search reveals a probable sister, birth registered in the 1st quarter of 1923. and in the same Registration District as Rita.

The 'hidden' surname on the snip you've posted has a birth date of 6th December 1922, and it is quite possible that this birth wasn't registered until the beginning of 1923.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 December 19 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone.  Lol…, but I even more confused than before. 

Medpat…, Hi !  If this register was used for rations, then surely Frank would be registered with his mother; not with some other family around the corner. (?) (unless… )

Debra…, Hi !  Lol…, ‘DJH’!   She’s only 14 years of age !  Unless of course, she already had a child and she was perhaps claiming food rations ?
In addition, their wedding was in June 1945; (Folkestone vol.2a Page 4002)  Unless of course this was a second marriage with them having lied about their ages for the first. 

JenB…, Hi !  Yes, that’s what I thought, however, on the other document where you found Oliver, unless I’m mistaken, that’s principally a boy’s name.  I thought there might have been an error with someone adding an ‘r’ making it Olive.
However, the first on the list Whittingstall Ivy M., born 30 May 1904 looks a perfect candidate to be Rita’s mother. (Born 1925)
In addition, the single person on the second line was born on the 4th of December 1922.  Although I didn’t have the exact date, it could be that I was close with the date and year.  If its him… 
However, if JenB is correct in assuming that the second line is another Whittingstall, which seems logical, then so be it.

In the meantime, with Uncle Frank being 17-years old, he’s also a good candidate to be an apprentice hairdresser. 
Lol…, if this is him and the fact that he remained in the Army after WW2 to become a Company Sergeant Major, one can rest assured that they all had ‘short back and sides.’ 
He also made an error in telling my father that I’d never make it through the 18 weeks of basic training in the Scots Guards.  But that’s unrelated ! 

Confused…, Iain.   :)
MacFarlane - Tiree

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 December 19 18:13 GMT (UK) »
'Eastry' would be the area that did the adjustment to the register, it would not necessarily have any bearing on where they were married.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 December 19 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Debra…, Hi !  Lol…, ‘DJH’!   She’s only 14 years of age !  Unless of course, she already had a child and she was perhaps claiming food rations ?

The register would have been updated with the new surname when she married in 1945. It is possible that they were living in Eastry when the alteration was notified.

JenB…, Hi !  Yes, that’s what I thought, however, on the other document where you found Oliver, unless I’m mistaken, that’s principally a boy’s name.  I thought there might have been an error with someone adding an ‘r’ making it Olive.

Oliver would have been her mother's maiden surname.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 December 19 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Medpat…, Hi !  If this register was used for rations, then surely Frank would be registered with his mother; not with some other family around the corner. (?) (unless… )

Frank would have been entered on this register wherever he was living at the time.

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 December 19 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Ah…, thanks JenB.  I see !

But at the same address as his 'fiancée'?
MacFarlane - Tiree