Author Topic: Lapslie/Cameron Brick Wall help needed please  (Read 763 times)

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Lapslie/Cameron Brick Wall help needed please
« on: Sunday 29 December 19 04:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

This one has been running me ragged for a lot of years. Agnes Lapslie (Lapsley) was born on 19th March 1804 in High Parish Paisley. Parents Robert Lapslie and Janet Cameron. She married William Wilson in the Paisley High parish on 5th December 1824(No parents names recorded)

On her death certificate her father is down as James. The informant was her son-in- law and I'm assuming this to be an error as her Baptism record clearly says Robert.

I am trying to find out more info about her parents and if she had any siblings (The only OPR listing for children of this couple on Scotland's People is her). I have looked on SP, Familiy Search and Ancestry to no avail and keep checking back every now and then as more records become available but still finding nothing.

I can't find a marriage for her parents so don't know if they were local to the area or had moved there as many did around the time to work in the weaving trade. EDIT She is decribed on her baptism as the lawful daughter so there should be a marriage

Any help would be much appreciated in case I am missing something that's staring me in the face

Thanks

Ann  :)
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lapslie/Cameron Brick Wall help needed please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 December 19 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Agnes record as you say but the only one and no marriage for Robert & Janet.
LAPSLIE   AGNES   ROBERT LAPSLIE/JANET CAMERON    26/03/1804   Paisley High Church

There is a possible birth for Robert in the County and more than one for Janet.

ROBERT LAPSLEY   JOHN LAPSLEY/MARY PAUL    19/06/1775   Abbey

Siblings – John 1771 & James 1778

Plus at Old or West Kilpatrick, William 1764, James 1766, Jean 1768.

JOHN LAPSLIE   Married    MARY PAULL   01/07/1763   Old or West Kilpatrick

Possible death for John senior
LAPSLIE   JOHN   Died    76   (1737)   31/03/1813   Abbey

Then just to confuse the issue, I wonder if this is the brother of Robert?
LAPSLEY MARGARET - WILLIAM LAPSLEY & JANET CAMERON 24/12/1797 Greenock New or Middle

LAPSLY WILLIAM - WILLIAM LAPSLY & JANET CAMPBELL 29/12/1799   Greenock New or Middle

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 December 19 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin

Yes I've been wondering about that John Lapsley/Mary Paul one for a long time but I can't find anything to confirm it's him - even a spurious naming convention link :) that might have given some hints

I have found Agnes on the Poor Law records for Paisley so I have emailed them today and will see what comes back. It may give me some more to go on. I can't find any application for her parents but they well have been gone in 1839 when the records started.

Thanks

Ann :)
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 December 19 17:31 GMT (UK) »
I have looked on SP, Familiy Search and Ancestry to no avail and keep checking back every now and then as more records become available but still finding nothing.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 December 19 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian

Not sure what the link you have posted is for? If it's to suggest that SP is the only source, to a point I agree with you as I've used it since it started but just occasionally I do find things elsewhere so wouldn't automatically rule any other site out  :)

Thanks

Ann  :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 December 19 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Not sure what the link you have posted is for? If it's to suggest that SP is the only source, to a point I agree with you as I've used it since it started but just occasionally I do find things elsewhere so wouldn't automatically rule any other site out  :)
It's to save me typing out the same information every time someone says they have tried all sorts of different web sites.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 December 19 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Ah I see:)

Thanks. Have everything I've used in the 15 years been on this mad journey bookmarked :D

Ann

Offline helendg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 June 20 01:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann, I am replying to an old post of your's but here goes.  I have a little information (old Sasine) relating to John Lapslie and Mary Paul.  I don't know if this will assist your search or not, but more than happy to share.  Please feel free to email me offline if necessary at hdelilla (then gmail address).
PAUL - from Scotland to New Zealand