Author Topic: Elizabeth MULLEY died abt 1807  (Read 1109 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth MULLEY died abt 1807
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 December 19 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Is it more likely that her married name was Mulley and it was her daughter Elizabeth who married Herbert Cotton?  Her legatees were her daughter Elizabeth Cotton plus 2 Cotton grandchildren one of whom was named Herbert
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 December 19 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello CarolW! Yes, I have been mulling these facts over and I agree with you 100%. I was off a generation in my glee!!  :-[  If I am looking at things correctly now, it would appear that some of these later generation people might be in 1841.  i am going to see what freecen reveals, bearing in mind my Suffolk knowledge is practically non-existent.  Also, I wonder if Elizabeth who married Herbert Cotton might have some good details in her marriage record?  (I am assuming somewhere in Suffolk, but that is merely a guess....  Thank you so much for your interest! Sincerely, patrexjax
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 December 19 02:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello all! Thanks to everyone's fantastic input, I feel confident I have got this much correct. Firstly, I spotted a Herbert Cotton who died Dec Q 1869 in Suffolk at age 69; a search of freereg shows a Herbert Cotton chr. 10 May 1799 at St, Mary, Washbrook, Suffolk with his Father being yet another Herbert Cotton and his Mother being Elizabeth Mulley!! They were married 18 July 1797 at an unnamed parish in Suffolk. patrexjax
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 December 19 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello all! I have found no joy in trying to determine which parish in Suffolk Herbert Cotton and Elizabeth Mulley married on 18 July 1797.  :'(  I was hoping that information could help me determine Elizabeth Mulley's home parish and, possibly, her age and/or her Father's name…..Does anyone have the ability to determine exactly in which church they wed?  Or, any other suggestion as to how to find out more about the elusive (to me!) Elizabeth Mulley? Thanks to all who have read and/or responded to my plea for help! Happy New Year to all!  Sincerely, patrexjax

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 December 19 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Marriages pre-1837 do not show ages or fathers name.  I wonder if a burial record could be found which may possibly show her age
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 December 19 02:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello again CarolW! Thank you for the information.  I re-visited the freereg entry for the  marriage of Herbert Cotton and Elizabeth Mulley on 18 July 1797. I see that I had missed some good information: firstly, their marriage took place in Washbrook AND it is noted that they were both of the parish of Washbrook and married by license. I know this is a dangerous assumption, but, perhaps Elizabeth Mulley was born in Washrook.  I have been tediously trolling through deaths and burials and did find one that MIGHT be Elizabeth and Herbert's daughter: there is an Elizabeth Cotton who was buried 28 Oct 1865 at age 77 from Lowestoft, Suffolk.  My brain is having difficulty trying to wrap itself around those grandchildren named in Elizabeth's will. If I am correct, she married in 1797 and was deceased by 1806.  I can't fathom any of her biological children being able to be old enough to have their own children by the time of her death. I am wondering if those grandchildren named in the will could have been children born to her husband who may have had a first wife who had died????   CarolW, what am I not understanding??  ???  patrexjax

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 December 19 05:38 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Mulley, widow, was buried 24th July 1807 at Little Cornard, Suffolk (no age - ages rarely given until after 1812).  From her will we know from address that she was living with her daughter and son in law.

When Herbert Cotton married her daughter Elizabeth Mulley by licence he is shown as a farrier and that Elizabeth was a minor.   Consent from her mother Elizabeth Mulley.

So, in 1797 dau. Elizabeth is clearly under 21.  She died as Elizabeth Cotton and buried 20/7/1829 Copdock - shown bc.1780 making her only 17 when she married.  Since her widowed mother was buried at Little Cornard in 1807 it seemed logical to check records for that parish.

Elizabeth Mulley bp.4/2/1780 Little Cornard, Suffolk, dau. of John Mulley and wife Elizabeth.

She appears to have been their only child.   John Mulley was buried 12th July 1790 Little Cornard and his wife Elizabeth buried there 1807 as stated above.

John Mulley married Elizabeth Ruffle - by licence - on 9/10/1773 Little Cornard.

Herbert and Elizabeth had 3 children but one died:

Elizabeth Cotton bp.14/9/1797 Washbrook
Herbert Cotton bp.10/5/1799 Washbrook
Harriet Cotton bp.21/10/1801 aged 1yr.6mos Washbrook, bur.22/11/1801 Copdock

Copdock/Washbrook neighbouring parishes.

Hope all is clear now.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 31 December 19 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Annette7!  While I was sleeping, I woke up this morning to see you have sorted this out!!  :) I really can't begin to thank you as I was going in circles!  In addition to not being knowledgeable about Suffolk parishes, I had not thought of the fact that Elizabeth could have been quite that young when she married.    THANK YOU!  I would like to take this opportunity to wish you a most happy new year. Very sincerely, patrexjax .

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 31 December 19 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Since Herbert and Elizabeth's eldest child Elizabeth was baptised 14/9/1797 this was just 2 months after they married.   So Elizabeth must have been around 7 months pregnant when she married!

Happy New Year.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.