Author Topic: possible 1/2 brother from DNA results?  (Read 2944 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: possible 1/2 brother from DNA results?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 31 December 19 22:46 GMT (UK) »
A few thoughts:

Yes, definitely speak to relatives to see if they can give you more information or a date range.

If your mother was engaged to someone who could possibly have been the father of this child, it is still possible that the child was registered under her maiden surname.

If you can narrow down the time line you could start buying birth certificates. An expensive exercise, but you may get lucky.

Have you contacted the other matches who also match with your possible half brother, to see if any of them have made contact with him?

As this is person being your “half brother” still a theory, you might be wise to approach any matches carefully rather than suggesting that you think he may be your half brother. If you already suggested this, then that may be a reason he has not responded - if this is the case I am unsure how you might be able to back pedal on this?

A lot of people simply don’t bother replying for any number of reasons.

Offline highland50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 12:24 GMT (UK) »
One thing I have noticed highland50 is you do not say how long ago it was you contacted this match. It is useful for people on here to have a rough estimation of the time as what may seem a long wait to some may turn out to be nothing unusual to others, the longest I waited for a reply was nearly three years!

Oh and the advice Martin gave above to upload to Gedmatch (its free) if you have not done so is good in my opinion. Another possible site to upload to is LivingDNA but not sure if that involves a fee.

Good luck with your search.

Hi, I first contacted him end April 2019 so perhaps not that unusual! I'll also try Gedmatch as you suggest, thanks.

Offline highland50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 12:26 GMT (UK) »
A few thoughts:

Yes, definitely speak to relatives to see if they can give you more information or a date range.

If your mother was engaged to someone who could possibly have been the father of this child, it is still possible that the child was registered under her maiden surname.

If you can narrow down the time line you could start buying birth certificates. An expensive exercise, but you may get lucky.

Have you contacted the other matches who also match with your possible half brother, to see if any of them have made contact with him?

As this is person being your “half brother” still a theory, you might be wise to approach any matches carefully rather than suggesting that you think he may be your half brother. If you already suggested this, then that may be a reason he has not responded - if this is the case I am unsure how you might be able to back pedal on this?

A lot of people simply don’t bother replying for any number of reasons.
Thanks, yes I am trying again with the elderly aunt living in England and see if can narrow things down.I have contacted a couple other shared matches but no reply as yet. I guess I might need more patience!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 13:28 GMT (UK) »
I think you have been very patient still waiting for a reply to your request made in April!  :) I'd be giving up on that one, or asking again.  :)

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Try buying the birth certificates for any likely births.  Might not have the father listed but might say something about the mother.

Have you tried Facebook?  I found loads of people that way.

Good luck

Diana
Speller (Thaxted, Prittlewell, West Ham), Thompson (East Peckham, Romford), Wright (Gt Marlow, Romford, Dagenham, Queensland Australia), Cutler (Herts), Channer (High Wycombe), Baker (Romford, Ilford, Stratford)

Offline highland50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 04 January 20 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Just for info, uploaded my DNA to Family Tree DNA and My Heritage to see if this match was also on there, but he wasn't. However I noted that the shared cM with this "brother" found on Ancestry is 2,073 and highest matches on My Heritage and Family Tree DNA are 248 cM and 81 cM respectively - so quite a difference!

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 04 January 20 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Just an observation, but your relative presumably had a reason for DNA testing. If, as an adopted person, they are looking for their biological origins, it's a bit surprising that they wouldn't have responded to you. 
However, it's also possible that they were unaware of the adoption; adoptive parents didn't always tell
their child the truth in the 1940s/'50s.  It might be taking some time for that person to take in what the test has revealed.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline highland50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 04 January 20 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Just an observation, but your relative presumably had a reason for DNA testing. If, as an adopted person, they are looking for their biological origins, it's a bit surprising that they wouldn't have responded to you. 
However, it's also possible that they were unaware of the adoption; adoptive parents didn't always tell
their child the truth in the 1940s/'50s.  It might be taking some time for that person to take in what the test has revealed.

Thanks - yes that was what I was pondering too. The fact he submitted DNA testing would think he would be keen to hear more, but maybe its all been a shock. Hard to know.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked their 'last signed in' status, to at least give you an idea if they are seeing your message but choosing to ignore it?

eg
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .