Author Topic: Hannah Thompson 1863 lunacy patients admission register  (Read 1721 times)

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hannah Thompson 1863 lunacy patients admission register
« on: Sunday 29 December 19 17:29 GMT (UK) »
My step 2nd great grandfather's first wife was Hannah Thompson nee Lee born 1835 in Stanhope,Weardale England.
Her last child was born in 1861 and she died in 1863.
Ancestry threw up a hint for an 1863 admission to a lunatic asylum in Cumberland for a Hannah Thompson and I was wondering if it was her but don't have access to those records.
Elliot(t), Stobbs,Thompson (Weardale) Johnson, Hunter, Hall (Kirk Merrington/Spennymoor)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Thompson 1863 lunacy patients admission register
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 December 19 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The record doesn’t say much at all other than she was admitted on the 9 January 1862 and that the date of discharge or death was 29 June 1863 and a mark was also made in the ‘pauper’ column as opposed to the ‘private’ column.

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 December 19 19:34 GMT (UK) »
The Hannah Thompson whose death was registered Sept qtr Carlisle was aged 47 & presumably the one who died 29/6

Are you sure your Hannah was b 1835?   If she was nee Lee - there are no births in Cumberland 1859-1863

Do you have the right county?  Should it be Durham?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 December 19 20:04 GMT (UK) »

Are you sure your Hannah was b 1835?   If she was nee Lee - there are no births in Cumberland 1859-1863

Do you have the right county?  Should it be Durham?

Hi Carole  :) sueellio said in the original posting that Hannah was born in Stanhope, Weardale, which is indeed in County Durham.

My step 2nd great grandfather's first wife was Hannah Thompson nee Lee born 1835 in Stanhope,Weardale England.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 December 19 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Where was she living when the last child was born - Weardale or Cumberland?

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 December 19 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - should have been clearer.  My reference to Durham was in relation to childrens births & Hannah’s death as the Cumberland death did not fit an 1835 birth.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 December 19 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Hannah Thompson and family in 1861
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7ZL-5RY

Possible death
THOMPSON, HANNAH       
Age at Death (in years): 28 
GRO Reference: 1863  J Quarter in WEARDALE  Volume 10A  Page 133

In the same quarter, a birth (is it connected? :-\)
THOMPSON, WILLIAM   
Mother's Maiden Surname: LEE 
GRO Reference: 1863  J Quarter in WEARDALE  Volume 10A  Page 242

A death in Sep qtr, Weardale, William Thompson, age 0. But can't be sure it is the same William.

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 December 19 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The record doesn’t say much at all other than she was admitted on the 9 January 1862 and that the date of discharge or death was 29 June 1863 and a mark was also made in the ‘pauper’ column as opposed to the ‘private’ column.

Claire

Hi and thanks for all the info'

Doubt my Hannah would have been a pauper admission as my 2nd great grandfather, Joseph, from what I know was fairly affluent being a Miller. Indeed when he died in the early  1920's he left about £4000 in his will.  There was a history of Downs syndrome in the family but the only definite case I know of was Joseph Thompson's grandson, Eric- a child of Joseph's daughter Margaret, my great grandmother, with his second wife. Several of Joseph's children died in their 20's unmarried and my great grandmother was only in her 40's when she died in 1918. The only photograph we have of her taken around 1917 she looks like she's in her 70's.
I know people died younger then, but they were an affluent family and Joseph himself survived into his 80's.

Yes, Hannah was born in Weardale Durham, but of course upper Weardale is spitting distance to Alston which is in Cumberland, which is why I asked about the admission, but it sounds like it's not her
The last record of a child being born to Hannah which I have is Elizabeth in 1861 and as
Possibly she had another child ,William, in 1863 and sadly Hannah died ?in childbirth and the baby died later in the same year. Of course in 1800's in Weardale there was a very limited number of surnames so the death of the infant may not be the one born to Hannah Lee.

If I have the correct information,on the 1881 census Hannah's eldest child, Annie Maria, is married to a William Thompson (also born in upper Weardale -aargh!) and they're living in Suffolk. Annie Maria's brother and sister, John and Elizabeth are also on the census. According to my information both John and Elizabeth died in their 20's.
Elliot(t), Stobbs,Thompson (Weardale) Johnson, Hunter, Hall (Kirk Merrington/Spennymoor)