Author Topic: John Patton in Dumbarton 1940  (Read 1192 times)

Offline mrs acb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Patton in Dumbarton 1940
« on: Monday 30 December 19 01:51 GMT (UK) »
 Hi all , thought I do a wee quick project ( if there is such a thing) and try to look into the history of the house I grew up in . My parents reckon it was built in the 1930s but looking at SP I can only find a John Patton living there in 1940 ,nothing in earlier valuation rolls . I have searched SP for Pattons living at Dumbuck Road Dumbarton but nothing is showing up . I would love to know if they were the first owners or were there others before them and when did the Patton family or John leave? . Thanks x

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Patton in Dumbarton 1940
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 December 19 07:52 GMT (UK) »
ER search of that address through the years?

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 December 19 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi not sure if you still live near Dumbarton if so you can try the library and they might have some records or might be able to help

Rosie

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 December 19 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Map revised 1937 - not yet showing?

https://maps.nls.uk/view/82874271#zoom=4&lat=9560&lon=4897&layers=BT

Added:
Still not showing in 1947 - looks like maps have not been updated - unless it is the 'houses' with no street in about the correct place?

https://maps.nls.uk/view/75498528#zoom=5&lat=5605&lon=2320&layers=BT

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 11:08 GMT (UK) »
The Valuation Roll, available at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, normally tells you the names of the proprietor, the tenant and if relevant the occupier.

In 1940 John Patton is listed as tenant of 84 Dumbuck Road. All the immediate neighbours are owner-occupied. The name of the owner of the rest isn't listed in the index, but the full record shows that the owner was the Ministry of Supply.

None of the houses in Dumbuck Road is listed in the 1935 Valuation Roll, so presumably the whole street was built in the later 1930s. Could the street have been built by a speculative builder and then sold to individual owners, in which case there could have been advertised in newspapers of the time?

The best way to research the history of a house is by looking in the Registers of Sasines. These are the records of transfer of ownership of land or buildings. These can be consulted in the Historic Search Room in General Register House in Edinburgh, or in printed volumes available in major reference libraries. See https://www.ros.gov.uk/our-registers/general-register-of-sasines.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mrs acb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi , thank you for the information . I have viewed the valuation roll on SP and I intend to go and view the local papers and the valuation rolls from the late 1930s at the local archive . Thanks for the information on the register of sansies , I will look into that too. I am really interested to learn more about the Patton family who lived there . There is more to the story for me which was confirmed by the 1940 roll . When the houses were first built my grandfather was offered number 84 and the other address of Mr Brown ,I think 76? My grandparents turned the houses down because they were happy where they were in Renton plus my grandfather didn't like the idea of a house with electric clocks! My grandfather worked for the Torpedo factory in Alexandria as did Mr Brown I believe, so the story with Ministry of Supply link has been confirmed.  Years later in the late 1950s my aunt (grandads daughter) coincidentally bought number 84 on her return from Singapore. In the 1980s my dad bought the house from his sister and my family still own this house today . I remember well Mr Brown and his wife and the Duncan family who still live 2 doors away . I remember Alice Duncan as a very elderly lady . One of our other neighbours has lived in her house since she was a child in 1947 . My parents house still has some original features which makes me really happy . Thanks again.