Author Topic: Request for Lookups Heberton and Mt Garnet QLD  (Read 1655 times)

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Request for Lookups Heberton and Mt Garnet QLD
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 31 December 19 09:24 GMT (UK) »
http://www.archivessearch.qld.gov.au/Image/DigitalImageDisplay.aspx?ImageId=38865#page=45&view=Fit&ispdf=true

Scroll down, PDF page 49, document page 384.

Debra  :D

Bigsie, the documents found by Debra is much, much more than the Index I know about.

Essie

Offline Bigsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Debra

I am a bit new to Rootschat so my Replies are disjointed.

Thank you for all your posts. 

Regards

Bigsie

Is it possible for you to lookup Qld Electoral Roll Entries or Directories for the following as I am endeavouring to establish the Death of Alfred George STEVENS.  I have been unable to find his death in either Australia or here in NZ where his two sons spent most of their lives.  The last mention I have found is the Map Reference of the section he owned in the Parish of Formartine referred by Gerry.  The map is dated 31 Aug 1931 so presumably he was still alive at that time.

Alfred George STEVENS (sometimes STEPHENS) emigrated from England to Australia between  1881 (On Census of England at Platinum St, Roath, Cardiff) and 1893 QLD Electoral Roll which I have been provided with the details of his entry.

Offline Bigsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Alfred died on 25 Oct 1925 in QLD and his place of death burial place is not known.

The burial record says that this Alfred was only 30 years old.

There are no deaths registered for an Alfred STEVENS on 25 Oct 1925, the burial is for a man who died on 20 Oct 1925.

Debra  :D

I obviously have the incorrect Alfred George STEVENS as his age is not consistent with his birth date cir 1861 in Wales, also he appears to be still alive in 1931.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 02 January 20 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bigsie,

I think there were two Alfred George STEVENS persons.  The 1925 death of A.G.S had his mother as JOHANNA and the ommonwealth Electoral Roll for 1925 has an Alfred George STEVENS as on the corner of Guthrie and Royal street Paddington, Brisbane and there is also a Johanna STEVENS registered for the same address.

Mary Annie STEVENS is at Royal Street as well as Victor Emanuel STEVENS, most probably the same location as Alfred and Johanna.

Gerry

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 02 January 20 08:51 GMT (UK) »

Monthly meeting of the Herberton Licensing Court, 7th Feb 1900.

The licence for the Range Hotel Chillagoe Railway transferred from A. G. STEVENS to J. J. ALTHAUS

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/42941110?searchTerm=

Gerry

Offline Bigsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 04 January 20 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Debra

I am a bit new to Rootschat so my Replies are disjointed.

Thank you for all your posts. 

Regards

I have just reviewed request for further information which was cut off prematurely, I apologize for this.

I am having difficulty tracing Alfred George STEVENS after his entry in the QLD Electoral Roll provided by Gerry.

This is what I have discovered since that in an endeavour to resolve this issue:

1901 - His first son is born in QLD, Alfred Olaf STEVENS  (Robert may have been his third christian name)
1902 - His second son is born in QLD, Edmund Henry STEVENS
1903- His wife Caroline Josephine STEVENS nee MALLING dies in QLD

I infer from this he later remarries and emigrates to NZ which I can find no record between 1903 - 1917 or later.

1917 - Alfred Olaf is mentioned in the NZ Gazette
1923 - Alfred Olaf marries Charlotte TEW in Wellington, NZ.  The marriage notice mentioned in one of the posts states that Alfred Olaf is the eldest son of Mr & Mrs A G STEVENS of Timaru (NZ).

This would infer that Alfred George has remarried.  I can find no trace of the marriage.

1924 - Edmund Henry marries Lucy Theresa QUIN.

Both sons spend the rest of their lives in NZ, however I am having difficulty tracking Alfred George from this mention in the newspaper of 1931.

1931 - A map is published in QLD showing A G STEVENS as being part owner of Section 20v Parish of Formantine

The only way to resolve this land issue in QLD is to obtain a copy of the title to this piece of land and any subsequent encumbrances, transfers, mortgages etc and a copy of the original Land File for its disposal and sale at auction in 1890.

Can you please give me direction on how to go about obtaining this information.

Many thanks for your past interest and assistance.  Also all others who have responded to my posts.

Kind regards and a Happy New Year

Bigsie

Bigsie

Is it possible for you to lookup Qld Electoral Roll Entries or Directories for the following as I am endeavouring to establish the Death of Alfred George STEVENS.  I have been unable to find his death in either Australia or here in NZ where his two sons spent most of their lives.  The last mention I have found is the Map Reference of the section he owned in the Parish of Formartine referred by Gerry.  The map is dated 31 Aug 1931 so presumably he was still alive at that time.

Alfred George STEVENS (sometimes STEPHENS) emigrated from England to Australia between  1881 (On Census of England at Platinum St, Roath, Cardiff) and 1893 QLD Electoral Roll which I have been provided with the details of his entry.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 05 January 20 00:07 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

We have a positive ID on Alfred George Stevens on the Queensland State Electoral Roll in 1905 residing at Chillagoe as a Clerk but nothing 100% after that.

The Queensland State Archives have annotated State Electoral Rolls and these annotations were entered by the Electoral Office Clerks would show why an elector failed to vote including, death, moved to a new electorate, change of name etc.

It would be a lengthy process (and I have done it finding my lot) but if someone could check each State Roll after 1905 to follow Alfred and see if there was an annotation against his name that might give a clue to his movements and what year.

Gerry

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 05 January 20 00:14 GMT (UK) »

The 1931 Parish Map of Formantine does show A. G. Stevens but I have found in the past that many Parish Maps still have person's names on blocks etc even though they had disposed of the land years earlier. 

Gerry