Author Topic: Henry Walker Bathgate West Lothian  (Read 1657 times)

Offline bmatthews7838

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Walker Bathgate West Lothian
« on: Monday 30 December 19 15:24 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find information on Henry Walker born 1792 parents  Peter Walker and Margaret Chalmers. The family lived at Tippithill Farm. I have his birth from GRO's.

There is also another Henry Walker born 1796 to William Walker and Elizabeth Whyte.  Cannot find any death for either of the Henry Walker's but one married Barbara Moorhead 14 Apr 1828 and on the 1841 Census Henry was said to be born in 1796 not 1792. However, they did name their children Peter and Margaret.  Would like to find out anything that would collaborate which Henry Walker is married to Barbara Moorhead.  Not an easy task.  Becky

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Walker Bathgate West Lothian
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 December 19 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Records for Scotland on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

WALKER   HENRY   PETER WALKER/MARGARET CHALMERS    15/01/1792   Whitburn

I would guess below that this is the above Henry based on the naming pattern but do you know anything about Barbara?

HENRY WALKER & BARBARA MUIRHEAD had 3 children at Torphichen

Peter Grizel & Margaret 1826 – 1832 & Hugh & James 1835 – 1837 at Linlithgow

WALKER   HENRY   WILLIAM WALKER/ELIZABETH WHYTE    13/04/1796   Whitburn

Whitburn deaths pre 1855 are on SP but no record for Henry so both may have survived.

There are only two marriages in West Lothian for Henry Walker

BARBARA MUIRHEAD 6/04/1828 West Calder

BARBARA WALKER 14/04/1828 Torphichen. (I do not see any children for this Barbara).

However this may be the same marriage and parish records would need to be checked.

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline bmatthews7838

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 December 19 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Barbara Muirhead was born 13 Jan 1810 and died 13 July 1886 Torphichen, West Lothian and her parents were Hugh Muirhead and Margaret Johnston.  Her husband was deceased. I know what you mean about the names but I can't be 100 percent because of the birth date of the Henry married to Barbara. I suppose it is impossible to really know for sure and follow a line that may not be mine. I do appreciate your help on this. I have tried just about everything I can think of. Thank you.
Regards and all the best for the New Year.
Becky

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 15:16 GMT (UK) »
on the 1841 Census Henry was said to be born in 1796 not 1792.
No, he wasn't.

The UK census never gives a year of birth. It tells you the age the person said they had reached at their last birthday before the day of the census. Some web sites, unfortunately, add to their transcriptions a year of birth 'calculated' by subtracting the age from the census year. This gives a wrong answer three times out of four because the census is usually taken at the end of March or beginning of April, only a quarter of the way through the year, when three-quarters of people have not yet had a birthday in that year.

In 1841, there is an additional complication, because in that census only, adults' ages were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years. So someone whose age is recorded as 45 could be any age from 45 to 49. The 1841 census was taken on 7 June, so someone listed as aged 45  (assuming of course that the age is accurate) would have been born between 8 June 1791 and 7 June 1796.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bmatthews7838

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Did not know that they rounded out the age on the 1841 census. Thank you for the information.