Author Topic: Ideas for this surname  (Read 600 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ideas for this surname
« on: Monday 30 December 19 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello

John (age 2) in the attached (from 1841) I think is the illegitimate son of Mary (age 30) in the attached. From 1851 onwards he is known as John Edmund with a birth year of around 1840 which would fit. However, in the attached his surname is something like Hanban?? Any other suggestions for the surname? Either way it seems a very unusual surname for this area of South Wales (essentially the Five Roads area neat Llanelly)? Would welcome any input. Thanks

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for this surname
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 December 19 20:45 GMT (UK) »
My only other suggestions are Hanbane  or Hanbarn (this one not very confident of ) :-\

It doesn't sound very Welsh - wondering if it's a corruption
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 December 19 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Expanded

Malky

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 December 19 21:06 GMT (UK) »
My only other suggestions are Hanbane  or Hanbarn (this one not very confident of ) :-\

It doesn't sound very Welsh - wondering if it's a corruption

Some sort of "corruption" seems the most logical, but struggling to think what it could be a corruption of

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 December 19 21:13 GMT (UK) »
I've had a quick look on the BMDs with mother's surname and RD Llanelly 1839+/-  but nothing showing. I'll check the baptisms.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 December 19 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Some more information I have on John is below in case others might have researched him already and be able to provide some additional information. My interest is trying to link him to the Edmund(s) families of Caerbygin, Caebrenin and Herberdeg of Five Roads, Llanelly. I think there must be a link somewhere but I have yet to find it.

His grandparents were probably David and Mary Edmunds (nee Owen) married 24 Nov 1797, Llannon. If correct, His mother Mary was baptised 18Dec1806 and she had 2 siblings David, baptised 1801 and Anne baptised 1803.

In 1861 John is living his mother at Bank Tainewydd.

John married a Rachel Hughes in 1865 and I could order the marriage certificate, but my gut feeling is that the entry for John’s father would be blank.

John and Rachel lived at Pantygroes, Five Roads which is next door to Caerbygin farm in some census records. Therefore it seems likely there is a link between these 2 Edmund families?

In 1871 his mother Mary is living on her own as part of Pantygwenith Fach farm where a David Edmunds born 1835 and his family were living, so again she (and therefore John) are possibly related to these Edmunds. She is still there in 1881 and dies 1882.

Children of John and Rachel were Ann (1868), Elizabeth (1871), John (1873), Rachel (1875), Thomas Hugh (1877), Mary Jane (1879), Alice (1880), Hugh (1885), William (1888) and Annie (1893). (Mother’s maiden name confirmed as Hughes in GRO records of birth e.g. EDMUNDS, ALICE  (HUGHES) GRO Reference: 1881  M Quarter in LLANELLY  Volume 11A  Page 767)

John dies 1902 and Rachel 1911, both are buried at Rehoboth chapel, Five Roads as are his mother and grandmother.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 January 20 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Did order the marriage certificate. As expected John’s father’s name is blank. They married a Rehoboth Chapel, Pembrey (which is in the Five Roads area), so if nothing else the marriage certificate supports the above