Author Topic: Debtors' Court proceedings  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Debtors' Court proceedings
« on: Tuesday 31 December 19 14:13 GMT (UK) »
I have found an "ad" from  Insolvent Debtor's Court Office in the 21 June 1823 Cambrian stating that my possible ancestor was declared insolvent.  It states that petitions are to be heard at the General Quarter Sessions of the Peace at the Guild-hall in Montgomery, 17 Jul 1823.  My question is:  Is there anything online that gives the results of these proceedings?

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: Debtors' Court proceedings
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 December 19 15:07 GMT (UK) »
You could try searching his name in The Gazette https://www.thegazette.co.uk/

It lists the cases of insolvent debtors from all areas of the country.  I found one of my lot from Liverpool there, he was sent to Lancaster Gaol.

This may also be helpful.
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/bankrupts-insolvent-debtors/

Good luck
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 December 19 15:21 GMT (UK) »
There may be a newspaper report of the court proceedings.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 December 19 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Welsh Newspapers online names 3 debtors to be seen 17 July 1823. The Gazette, 24 Jun 1823, names 6 debtors to be seen.

Cannot find results of the 17 July 1823 session (if held) on Welshnewspapers or the Gazette.. One of those named by The Gazette pops up in 1827 - but suspect he is not the subject of the enquiry.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 December 19 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your suggestions.

I did find him listed with 5 others in the Gazette with an issue number of 17934.  I didn't find him on any of the other links.  Maybe I'm not using them correctly.

Since he is listed as John Thomas, late of Garthgell, Llanfyllin, Montgomery, farmer, in the 21 Jun 1823 Cambrian, I think this may be my John Thomas of Garthgell, farmer who emigrates to Ohio in October of 1823.  Obviously, since he may have been insolvent, there was nothing there for him in his immediate future.  If his wife had financial resources, would she have been in control of them?  If this is my John Thomas, they would have needed to obtain passage for two adults and eight children on the Brigantine Joseph.