Author Topic: Howard James Hemming  (Read 520 times)

Offline mwjw22jb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Howard James Hemming
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 January 20 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I do apologize for the delay in replying and feel somewhat embarrassed as have been searching for info for ages and don't know how I missed some of what you've all sent me.

Most of the Ancestry Trees I looked at didn't have sibs for Charlotte and I couldn't find her baptism in any of the neighborhood church registers around Hanborough so was stuck there. Thought her father William may have moved around a lot - m. Susan Lankspear.

I also found the 1871 census for William Hemming and mother and thought it may have been him but wasn't sure. I will have to look at Ann Slatter. Being an Engineer was the only common thread for William Hemming to connect records.  I think Susannah Slatter Lay may be a sister of Charlotte as this is the only family named "Slatter Lay" that I've come across in the registers.

Thank you all for everything you sent me. No wonder I couldn't find Howard - went to South Africa and did really well for himself.
I'll keep searching given what I have now and hopefully I can fill in some gaps in Charlotte's family and put the Hemmings in some sort of order too.

If you come across any more info I would be really grateful.

Marj

Offline mwjw22jb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 January 20 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I saw today that William Hemming had married Mary Jane Clifton on 21 Apr 1862 at Wigginton, Oxfordshire but she died 1866 leaving him with a son Frederick William bapt 24 Mar 1863. Frederick is with William on the 1871 census with Charles East then in 1881 with grandma Susannah in Burford.

Susannah Slatter Lay bapt 14 Aug 1803 Hanborough, is the sister of Charlotte.

Marj

Offline dcslatter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 September 21 19:24 BST (UK) »
William Slatter 1780 March 1849    GHVL-WJP(familySearch) married Susannah Lay
1778 15 June 1835    GHVL-F5M and the family took both last names to form "Slater Lay"

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/GHVL-F5M