Author Topic: Latin document - badly water-damaged Botcherby Holm  (Read 670 times)

Offline Kinsy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Latin document - badly water-damaged Botcherby Holm
« on: Friday 03 January 20 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Apologies in advance for the terrible quality of this document, but I am desperately hoping that one of the Latin experts on RootsChat will be able decipher at least some fragments of the text.
All I know is that it is regarding property - Botcherby Holm [in Carlisle, Cumberland] - and I can read the names Robinson and Gulielmi [William] Grame.
Even the tiniest bit more information would be very much appreciated.   

Offline Kinsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Latin document - badly water-damaged
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 January 20 03:25 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to say that the document has a seal hanging off it.
Attached is a jpg of some text on the reverse of the document - but it is even more illegible, so I don't have much hope that any info can be extracted from it.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 January 20 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Here is a start.

The most common name to appear within the text is - in Anglicized form - Ambrose Carletone.

The document's beginning has the form seen in the Feoffment here:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01os3/

I can see ...fidelibus ad quos hoc... and then after some damage (most of) pervenerit.

I believe the main name on line 1 - that of the person addressing the writing to All faithful Christian people - is Ambrosius Carleton.  His forename is damaged on line 1 but the name is repeated on line 2:

...prefatum Ambrosium Carleton...   [prefatum = before mentioned]

I don't think there's enough room between the two names to write another name.

Ambrose Carletone is of a place ending ___stocke or possibly ___scocke, in what I think is a County whose Latin name definitely ends ___rie and possibly ___brie.

I've run out of time for the moment but there is a little more to extract from the doc.

The names on the back are:

Matthew? Tayler

Thomas ___psone

Thomas R____e

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 January 20 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Agree with HD so far, and I will try to help further tonight (if HD hasn't finished it by then).

Meanwhile, Kinsy, if you got the document from an archive, please post the wording of the catalogue description if you can, as that can help with deciphering? Thanks.

Offline Kinsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Latin document - badly water-damaged Botcherby Holm
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 January 20 11:04 GMT (UK) »
That is a great start - thank you, horselydown86 !!
The county is probably "Cumbrie"
The document isn't from an archive, Bookbox, it's in a box of old wills and legal docs, mostly re property, that I have on loan at the moment - which is why I could recognise those two names :) 

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 January 20 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Line 2, mention of decem lib_____ = 10 pounds of money.

Guilielmus? [?] of we_______ll in the same County yeoman on line 3.  It's a reach but the surname could well be Grame.

AC and GG both mentioned on line 4.

On line 5, after mention of acquiet____ et exonerat' there is large print Concessisse (= relinquish, give up) preceded by something like Demisse.

On line 6, mention of Guilielmo Grame his heirs and assigns.  Dative indicates the land is given up to GG and his heirs etc.  Also mention of acres of land arabilis.

Line 7, land called le? Seven? acres in Bochardbye Holme in the same County inter terras [= among the lands of] Johannnis [Sewell?] Junioris.

Line 8, land in the occupation of [?] Robinsone on the north side and lands now in the tenure of Johannis Pattinsone on the south side.

Bookbox, I shall hand the baton to you at line 9.

CORRECTION:

Where I have Bochardbye Holme above, I now think the spelling is Botchardbye Holme.

Offline Kinsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 January 20 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful, horselydown !! it's like invisible ink slowly revealing itself - quite exciting really.

Going by some of the other old docs, line 3 is probably Guilielmus Grame of Wederhall, and the name John Sewell (line 7) is also in one or two of them.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 January 20 04:28 GMT (UK) »
A few more lines:

Line 9, mentions an R? Reade; also mentions an acre now in the occupation of AC.

Line 10, something unreadable ...to the use of me the aforesaid Ambrose Carletone to have or [?] of or in the same premisses...

Line 11, mentions an acre of arable and GG his heirs and assigns.

Line 12,  ...the use of the said GG heirs and assigns [?] forever of the Chief lords of that fee... etc

Lines 13 - 15 contain a warranty statement by AC to GG.

I don't want to assume too much (given the gaps) but it may be that just one acre of land is being transferred here.

The warranty isn't completely boilerplate - it appears to mention our Lord King as well as all people.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 January 20 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to be late.

I agree with HD’s analysis -- it’s a simple grant of land by Ambrose Carletone to William Grame and his heirs, for a payment of 10 pounds. Carletone and his heirs are fully satisfied, and Grame and his heirs are exonerated from any further payment.

The premises are described as one acre of arable/ploughable land with appurtenances, in a place locally known as ‘Le Seven[?] Acres’ in Botchardbye Holme[?] (lines 6-7); this land is then located in terms of other people’s adjacent lands to the south/north etc. (e.g. John Sewell junior, [?] Robinsone, John Pattinson, Roger[?] Reade). The premises are now in the occupation of Carletone himself or his assigns, and he states that neither he nor anyone else has, or will have, any claim or interest in them.

William Grame and his heirs will hold the land and its appurtenances for his/their own use and benefit, to freely enjoy it in peace and quiet, for ever (line 11).

The rest is mainly padding. The warranty clause mentions the King only in the context of Carletone guaranteeing the premises to Grame and his heirs against all comers, 'subjects (subditos) of our Lord King’, and all people.

Signed and sealed on 13[?] October 1604 (= 2nd year of James of England, 38th of Scotland)

ADDED - earlier I thought that I saw both Carletone and Grame described as yeomen, but I now can't spot that bit.