Author Topic: The Marriage Date of William Daniel "of Bramhall" And Jane Heggin/Higginbotham  (Read 443 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello There,

I am trying to find the marriage date of the above people in Stockport in 1659.
They were two of my 9x great grandparents.
I have managed to find the actual marriage banns publication in September 1659:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6XM3-XK2?i=138

But I wander if anyone knows where I can find the actual marriage date please?

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Marriage Date of William Daniel "of Bramhall" And Jane Heggin/Higginbotham
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 January 20 12:09 GMT (UK) »
I've finally found the parish register for St Mary, Stockport - BUT there is no marriage for William and Jane in 1659, under Daniel, Danyell or Daniell.

I did see a marriage - 4 May 1660 - William Ffoden and Marie Daniell of Bramhall
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Marriage Date of William Daniel "of Bramhall" And Jane Heggin/Higginbotham
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 January 20 12:23 GMT (UK) »
I've finally found the parish register for St Mary, Stockport - BUT there is no marriage for William and Jane in 1659, under Daniel, Danyell or Daniell.

I did see a marriage - 4 May 1660 - William Ffoden and Marie Daniell of Bramhall
Thank you.  :)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 January 20 14:27 GMT (UK) »
A major difference between those entries is that 1659 was during the Commonwealth, and 4 May 1660 was during the first few weeks of the Restoration.

In the Commonwealth period a form of civil marriage was established where couples were married before a Justice of the Peace, but banns were still called, either in church or in the town market place. Many places don't have any surviving records for that time, so you're quite lucky to have found those banns.

Very occasionally a church register will have a record of civil marriages, or there might be a series of entries written after the Restoration to record the events of the previous few years.

After 1660 marriages should be found in the church registers as usual.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 January 20 14:51 GMT (UK) »
A major difference between those entries is that 1659 was during the Commonwealth, and 4 May 1660 was during the first few weeks of the Restoration.

In the Commonwealth period a form of civil marriage was established where couples were married before a Justice of the Peace, but banns were still called, either in church or in the town market place. Many places don't have any surviving records for that time, so you're quite lucky to have found those banns.

Very occasionally a church register will have a record of civil marriages, or there might be a series of entries written after the Restoration to record the events of the previous few years.

After 1660 marriages should be found in the church registers as usual.

Thank you very much for this. That is interesting.
Their oldest son, Hugh, was baptized on the 28th of April 1661 in Knutsford.He was buried in 1665. He was named after William's father.

Hugh Daniel, William's father made his will at Bramhall on the 19th of April 1684. In that Will he mentioned William among his sons and daughters, and also his daughter Mary Foden. The marriage that was found earlier was William's sister Mary Daniel, who married William Foden in 1660 at Stockport. This is Hugh's will here:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DT37-65G

William Daniel of Over Knutsford mentioned his wife Jane in his will written there on the 19th of September 1684:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DT37-DWS?i=737

There is also the fact that Elizabeth Daniel, a widow of Bramhall (William's mother) who made her will on the 28th of December 1684 mentioned “Jane Daniel of Knutsford” as her daughter. She was actually her daughter “in-law” not daughter. But these kind of relationships were not specifically sometimes stated as such during this time. And Jane was not mentioned as Hugh’s daughter in his will from the same year. This is Elizabeth Daniel’s will here:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6GR3-LGZ

Thanks again for information about marriages in the Commonwealth period.  :) ;)