Author Topic: Blairdardie colliery  (Read 1453 times)

Offline Cladhan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blairdardie colliery
« on: Friday 03 January 20 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Several related families of my Cairns and Flanagan ancestors migrated from Ireland and occupied the miners' row in Blairdardie Colliery in the mid-late 19th century. The colliery didn't last very long and is not well documented, even in the Scottish Mining website. Does anyone have info on the colliery, and/or photos?

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Blairdardie colliery
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 January 20 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

It's not a well documented mineworks but it seemed to be going strong for a while  and was purchased in 1871 by Merry & Cunningham who owned and operated mines throughout the UK

PURCHASE or COAL WORKS AT BLAIRDARDIE.— we learn that Messrs. Merry & Cunninghame of Ironstone Works, have purchased from Mr. Robertson, Renfrew, the coal works here, including plant, houses, &c. An excellent seam of ironstone has been discovered, and it expected that the new proprietors will make for commencement shortly.
The Paisley & Renfrewshire Advertiser, 9th September 1871

This suggests that there might be more information in local papers if you can find them.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 January 20 23:09 GMT (UK) »
I've just checked "The Coalfields of Scotland" published in 1902 which deals with both Coal and Ironstone mining and Blairdardie doesn't even get a mention suggesting that it was no longer  operational by about 1900.

Upon re-reading the article regarding the 1871 sale it mentions that the new owners expect "commencement shortly" and I wonder if the coal  works had been shut down and the new owners were going to start mining ironstone. If so it wouldn't have been good news for the miners who would have been out of work (and housing).

(Although the same workers could easily mine Ironstone rather than coal it was unlikely that they would have been kept in employment during any shutdown period and of course with tied housing their families would also have been made homeless)

Another Book published in 1920 has several mentions of Blairdardie but generally regarding the geology of the mine
The Economic Geology of the Central Coalfield of Scotland

by
    Lionel Wordsworth Hinxman, Ernest Masson Anderson, Robert George Carruthers, Geological Survey of Great Britain

which can be found at www.archive.org

Offline Cladhan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking things up Valkyrn. Some of the offspring of the original immigrants of my ancestors indeed did become ironstone miners, although that involved moving to Maryhill for a while. Time for me to consult local newspapers, as you suggest.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 10:19 GMT (UK) »

Offline Cladhan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Malky.

Offline mmacairns

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Anyone still interested in a Cairns connection to the Blairdardie colliery? My great grandparents were from the area, were coal miners then opened a store for the miners in NW Glasgow until they came to the USA to MA.  I'm a Cairns. 

Offline Cladhan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 March 22 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Anyone still interested in a Cairns connection to the Blairdardie colliery? My great grandparents were from the area, were coal miners then opened a store for the miners in NW Glasgow until they came to the USA to MA.  I'm a Cairns.

I'm still interested. Were your miner ancestors also Cairns? What info about the shop/store?

Offline JJSy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 May 22 01:17 BST (UK) »
Several related families of my Cairns and Flanagan ancestors migrated from Ireland and occupied the miners' row in Blairdardie Colliery in the mid-late 19th century. The colliery didn't last very long and is not well documented, even in the Scottish Mining website. Does anyone have info on the colliery, and/or photos?

I have some Scott and Lang ancestry that works those mines.  Try looking up a William Lang mid 1800s for his writings on the area.