Author Topic: CdV of young woman by McAllan of Hexham, date please?  (Read 857 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
CdV of young woman by McAllan of Hexham, date please?
« on: Monday 06 January 20 10:40 GMT (UK) »
I'd appreciate a date for this lovely CdV please. She looks rather 'theatrical' to me, for some reason.

The picture on the back is of Beaumont Street in Hexham which didn't exist before 1866. I only have one other CdV on this cardstock, and this has been dated to the late 1860's.

The young woman appears to be wearing heavy bracelets on both wrists. I wondered if they might be made of something like Whitby jet?

Any help most gratefully received.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: CdV of young woman by McAllan of Hexham, date please?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 January 20 11:01 GMT (UK) »
From what you say, looks like late 1860's.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 January 20 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Her ears are showing so I'd say after 1866 and more likely circa 1869-1870 with the ringlets.

Added - just found more info on the ringlets ('very 1860s') so it could be earlier than 1870  :-\

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 January 20 12:00 GMT (UK) »
I would agree with late 1860s too.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 January 20 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all  :)

Do you think there is any significance to the fact she's holding what looks like a handkerchief and a (slightly wilted) posy? Also, do you think the bracelets might be Jet?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 January 20 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Only thing I can say about the jet is after the death of Prince Albert in 1861, I believe it became a fashion.

It's popular now, although probably black plastic or glass.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 January 20 13:13 GMT (UK) »
It could be Jet or Bog Oak which was also used to make jewellery in Victorian times. She is also wearing a similar bracelet on her other hand...could the jewellery, handkerchief and flower be a symbol of remembrance I wonder.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 January 20 13:42 GMT (UK) »
I think mid to late 1860's . I love her hair Jen.
I can't make out exactly what the bracelets are but they don't look very feminine to me.
I wonder if she is a widow and does the large black bow on her arm have any significance ?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 January 20 13:59 GMT (UK) »
As the photo is in sepia tones, the dress could be any dark colour, although it is often assumed the dark coloured Victorian outfits are black a-l
Carol