Author Topic: Maria Louisa Johnson.  (Read 1021 times)

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maria Louisa Johnson.
« on: Monday 06 January 20 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help with info gleaned from a marriage reported in the Bury and Norwich Post of 3rd July 1850. The notification says that Maria Louisa, youngest daughter of Christopher Betts Johnson of Mendham Hall married W B Whall at the Independent Chapel Lynn on 27th June 1850. The ceremony was conducted by Rev G B Johnson, the bride's brother. The family were dissenters which is making research a bit of a problem.
1) I have not been able to trace any information about W B Whall. First names and place of birth etc would be very helpful.
2) Which Hall was Mendham Hall, with regard to the Johnson Family. From old maps, there appear to be several in the region but none called Mendham Hall.
3) Maria Louisa had a brother and father both named Christopher Betts Johnson. They were of Mendham Mills. I can only find 1 reference to that outside of Newspapers. (Pigot's 1839: Christopher Johnson). Can anyone enlighten me as to how long they were there and did they own them?
I have posted this on the Norfolk board, but could equally well be Suffolk as Mendam straddles the Waveney and appears to be in both counties.
Thanks for any help.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maria Louisa Johnson.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 January 20 14:53 GMT (UK) »
1851 Census
HO197/1829/F319/p38

Tower Street, St Margarets, Kings Lynn, Norfolk

William Brixoe Whall 27 Banker's Clerk Lynn, Norfolk
Maria Louisa Whall 26 wife School Mistress Mendham, Suffolk
Anne Whall sister 33 School Mistress Lynn, Norfolk

plus several pupils and servants

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 January 20 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank so much for that. It seems that Maria Louisa died in 1853. William remarried in 1855 to the other teacher mentioned on the 1851 census!!!
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 January 20 15:42 GMT (UK) »
The other teacher mentioned on the 1851 Census was his sister!

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 January 20 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for going off topic but....Beautiful 1870s avatar image hookleg  :o

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 January 20 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Marriage

William Briscoe Whall/Frances Ann Sylvester Jun 1855 Canterbury 2a 785

Emeltom

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 January 20 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Will of Christopher Betts Johnson, Miller of Mendham , Suffolk
Proved 12 November 1839
Reference: PROB 11/1918/350
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D294626

Available on ancestry.
Probate too for William Briscoe Whall in 1898
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=whall&yearOfDeath=1898&page=1#calendar

You can see the copy will here. Sadly it is very brief. Only Frances Ann mentioned
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS1L-431G-5?i=497&cat=1023004

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 January 20 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tretotal for comment about the avatar. It is to pay tribute to my rather beautiful Gt Gt Aunt. Married aged 25. Died, probably in childbirth aged 28 in 1876. Sadly same fate for her sister who married aged 21 and died aged 22 in childbirth.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 January 20 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Aw how sad... :-\ it's a lovely image to have in your collection. If you ever want it cleaning up, I would  love to have a play with it on the Photo Restoration Board, having said that, it looks in good condition for its age.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU