Author Topic: What information would you trust?  (Read 5737 times)

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What information would you trust?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 06 January 20 21:35 GMT (UK) »
I do wonder, as the Clan McKenzie originated in Sutherland I believe, when my McKenzie's went to Argyllshire. And if the reason none of my McKenzie relatives appear in the OPR baptism & marriage registers for the 18th century in either Tiree or Coll, is because they did not originate from there. hmm.
Whatever the reason for your Mackenzies being missing from the Coll registers, it isn't because they didn't come from there. The church was supposed to keep a record of all baptisms and marriages in the parish, regardless of where people came from. The reason is far more likely to do with poor record-keeping or registers being lost or destroyed.

Thanks for that Forfarian. I do wish I could go further back, I have emailed the records office for Fort George, maybe something more can be found there. Maybe if I can find out what regiment he was in before the 6th R.V.B that might give me more info or point me in the direction of his correct millitary record.

Keelan

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 13:57 GMT (UK) »
MacKenzie is a Ross-shire name but there was a branch of them at North Ballachulish descended from two brothers from Brahan. Names used, Donald, Duncan, John & Ewan.

Skoosh.

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 15:21 GMT (UK) »
posted is info on the 6th RVB
Which would suggest your John McKenzie
was a soldier before as the 6th was formed
from veterans from 1804

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 16:40 GMT (UK) »
MacKenzie is a Ross-shire name but there was a branch of them at North Ballachulish descended from two brothers from Brahan. Names used, Donald, Duncan, John & Ewan.

Skoosh.

Thanks for that info, very interesting. I'm going to have a look at whatever info I can find on Clan MacKenzie, where did you find out that info?
Keelan

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 16:50 GMT (UK) »
posted is info on the 6th RVB
Which would suggest your John McKenzie
was a soldier before as the 6th was formed
from veterans from 1804

Thanks Raonull4! Based on the info there, I would hazard a guess that John was a member of one of the 8 Companies that was disbanded at Fort George on 28th July, 1814 as by August of 1815 he and his family were living on the Isle of Coll. The Chelsea Pensioner records that I have all seem to be under the Colonel Sir Paulus Emilius Irving.

'On the other hand the 1851 census says that Betsey, John jr and Catherine were born in Argyll, but the 1841 says that John Sr was born in Argyll, but Betty and John Jr were not. Also there seem to be two 60-year-old John McKenzies, both army pensioners, living in Arinagour in 1841.'
Will have to look into this I think too. As both were Pensioners, and I have two Chelsea Pensioner records for John McKenzie's in 1814. The one who was 42 was from Tyrie, and the other who was 41 was from Tobermorry. Perhaps they both settled on the Isle of Coll.

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 17:18 GMT (UK) »
hi just left your post in army section
it read birth of son john, Ardersier  then Campbelltown,
Ardersier is next to fort george,
which suggest census is wrong on place of birth

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Is that for John McKenzie, born 1812 to John McKenzie & Betsey Sutherland? If so his birth was registered at Boleskine & Abertaff/Fort Augustus. In the census returns his births are listed as -

1841 - Scotland
1851 - Tyree & Coll, Argyle
1861 - Fort William, Invernessshire
1871 - Coll, Argyll
1881 - Artnasair Par, Invernessshire
1891 - Coll, Island of

I do not know for sure that the Chelsea Pensioner record I have for the John born Ardersier, then Campbeltown is for my John born 1812. Just speculation as the John in my family tree eventually moved to Campbeltown after his marriage to Anabella McFadyen in 1851.

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 17:47 GMT (UK) »
i did note Annabell  d inlaw on census,
also note his daughter Charlotte
 making me think named after fort charlotte
thats in Lerwick,
i ve had a troll through tiree and coll transcription
i have on my comp,
the first census is a small one for 1776
i can find no McKenzies on it
also on birhs and marriages from 1766 to 1854
there is no Mckenzie births or marriages
between 1766 and 1800 i stopped at 1800,
the records i have are transcribed from the opr's
but in saying that i know in the 1700s
McKenzies took on other names ie Mcintyre,
is this the case and did they revert back to McKenzie,
you posted 3 images on army section
i can clearly read 1 the segeant John about 42 years old
he could the one your after,
the othe image can you read the county
the writting i can see looks like Perth

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 18:41 GMT (UK) »
After seeing the information on the 6th R.V.B you posted, I did wonder if somehow Charlotte was name after Fort Charlotte, even though her baptism took place at Fort Augustus in 1811. There is one marriage before 1800 on Coll -

McKenzie   John (Widower)   M   Feall   McPhaiden   Ann   Grishipoll   1799   Sep-16   1   4

I think if I were to attempt to track down a John (Something) born to a John & Peggy (Something) in Tyree & Coll it would be a bold undertaking and I would never know for sure if I had the correct person.

With the images that I posted - One is for a John McKenzie born in Kilmuir Easter a (Private) and the other is the one I initially took as my John, the Serjeant, but after taking a more indepth look at the baptisms of his children - Elizabeth, Charlotte, & John and also on his marriage record in 1805, he is always listed as a Private. I have 2 other records for 2 John McKenzie's who were Chelsea Pensioners from Tyrie & Tobermory, though they are not records for the individual alone, but a group of soldiers.

The first image is of a Serjt. Peter Shaw who was born in Alvie, Inverness-shire. He was also in the 6th R.V.B. And the reason I included his record is because a Serjt Peter Shaw was a witness at the Baptism of Elizabeth McKenzie in 1808 at Ardersier.