Author Topic: Info for Basil Charles Douglas Walsh, Vera Brown, John William Henry Walsh  (Read 2131 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Info for Basil Charles Douglas Walsh, Vera Brown, John William Henry Walsh
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 08 January 20 01:57 GMT (UK) »
May be of interest https://ancestors.familysearch.org/en/LKZ8-B3P/malcolm-walsh-1868

Yes,  and they include their submitter's name too....
They have their Basil Charles Douglas WALSH  1909-1977. 

ADD

Many thanks cupoflife,  I have not previously investigated that Section of that website.   Needless to say,  it is great to find new avenues in this hobby.

FURTHER ADD - about 2 hours after this reply was first posted...

My elderly rellies have phoned me to note that there has been some changes in the last half hour or so ...  apparently you can quickly delete entries too.   I note that it is fascinating and confusing and very disappointing to those who have spent their working careers in accurately creating and carefully recording official records, preserving them, and archiving them. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Kandi Burns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 11 January 20 01:05 GMT (UK) »
The information that I have on my great grandfather Basil Charles Douglas Walsh that I know is correct is that he married Vera on the 9 January 1930 in Hobart, and that he died on the 12 July 1977 at Railway Cottage Bishopsbourne, Tasmania, Australia and that he was a retired cook, his birthday is 12 July but year I am unsure of some say 1909,1910,1911 so am still trying to work out correct year. and some that I have read say that my great grandmother Vera lived to be something like 125 but from what I know she died in her 30's from an illness? which is also what I am trying to sort out.

Online wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 11 January 20 01:22 GMT (UK) »

The Mercury 9 May 1942 p2
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/25898371?
Obituary for Vera WALSH.....born 30 years ago at Zeehan....

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 11 January 20 02:59 GMT (UK) »
 :)  :) Yes,  that would be supporting Maddy's post too

Also note Vera's death notice
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article25925974

"WALSH - on May 5, 1942, at Hobart, Vera, dearly beloved wife of Basil C. D. Walsh of Oatlands (late machine gunner A.I.F. 1941) aged 30 years"

I presume Kandi has now read through the entire thread several times and is now confirming that their opening post has misleading information in it particularly about Basil's likely death years. I gather that Kandi is also now confirming the research that several of us have undertaken to help advance their quest to see if Basil and John are brothers/cousins or somehow have a shared ancestor.   

The information that I have on my great grandfather Basil Charles Douglas Walsh that I know is correct is that he married Vera on the 9 January 1930 in Hobart, and that he died on the 12 July 1977 at Railway Cottage Bishopsbourne, Tasmania, Australia and that he was a retired cook, his birthday is 12 July but year I am unsure of some say 1909,1910,1911 so am still trying to work out correct year. and some that I have read say that my great grandmother Vera lived to be something like 125 but from what I know she died in her 30's from an illness? which is also what I am trying to sort out.

May I share some jottings from my scribbling pad :

:) I think that Basil enlisted and then was discharged when Vera became ill, and then re-enlisted after her death.   Perhaps their five young children may have been separated while he continued to serve, and perhaps over the years their descendants have become strangers to each other.

:) I doubt that Basil was a close relative to John who died in NZ in 1919. 

:)  Earlier I mentioned that some of Basil and Vera's offspring may well be still alive.  I have not found anything to contradict my thoughts on that, and so I suggest we all continue to be mindful of the rights of living Australians to the lawful expectation to privacy of the individual.   :)  On the other hand, I am sure we all understand the importance of seeking the medical history of our close relatives in case there may be issues that may impact on our own lives.  So, of course, whether a person was born on 4th July or the 12th July and in 1909 or 1910 or 1911 has very little significance to any medical history briefings, and it is unlikely that any family historian would squabble over whether the date of birth would be 4 or 12 July or 1909 or 1910 or 1911.   But, I think it is good to know that Kandi recognises that her Basil did not DIE 1909\1911. 

And, finally to address two aspects of Kandi's reply #28 :
https://www.justice.tas.gov.au/bdm/researching-family-trees
Basil's date of birth will be on Basil's birth certificate.
Vera's cause of death will be on Vera's death certificate. 
http://www.jaunay.com/bdm.html

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 11 January 20 05:05 GMT (UK) »
The image of the civil registration of the birth of Basil is here:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C95P-49YJ?i=116&cc=2400177&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AQ244-VNM5

He was born 12 July 1909.

May I mention also that his date of death is recorded on the Admon file. 

So the Supreme Court of Tasmania recognised his date of death as 21 May 1977. 

ADD, I have not located any image of Vera's d.c. so Kandi may have to purchase it to learn the cause/s of death.

JM

Offline Kandi Burns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 12 January 20 00:54 GMT (UK) »
yes that is what I have been doing JM and I know of one of their children that is still alive which is my grandmother. I have been in touch with a relative who is the granddaughter of Vera I think, Still working it out.

Offline Kandi Burns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 23 January 20 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello I cant seem to find the post with Vera's death in it could someone please help me out with it so i can fill in this form I have for her record n cause of death certificate.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 23 January 20 11:11 GMT (UK) »
reply #9 and reply #29 - 1942