Author Topic: burial at Llanferres, gravephoto listed as Llanrhydd Cemetery ?  (Read 695 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
burial at Llanferres, gravephoto listed as Llanrhydd Cemetery ?
« on: Tuesday 07 January 20 22:30 GMT (UK) »
I have death certs and burial records in Llanferres Parish Registers for:

Catherine Parry, Pentre, Llanferres, died 28 October 1847, aged 58,  burial 02 Nov 1847
John Parry , of Tafarn Gelyn, Llanferres, died 31 March 1853, aged 66,  burial  04 April 1853

Family Search showed this entry on Billion Graves as a possible match

https://billiongraves.com/grave/John-Parry/25806314

Though the extreme right of the stone isn't included on the photo and its difficult to make out, I believe it is likely to be for the people I am looking for.

Its billed as being in Llanrhydd Cemetery, but Google maps shows that location (shown on the page) as being at or very near to St Berre's church in Llanferres and Llanrhydd Cemetery appears to be about 4 or 5 miles away.

I did see that the NA have, in RG67, reference to gravestones/graves that were removed from Llanferres (doesn't give any details as to where to) and the date range includes these years of death, but the records are listed as being in the database on deceased online. I checked the deceased online site for the specific database and these people do not turn up in the search :-(

Though I appear to have found a likely gravestone photo, I am still uncertain about where the stone is located  - Llanferres or Llanrhydd and not sure how or where to find out.

Boo

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: burial at Llanferres, gravephoto listed as Llanrhydd Cemetery ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 January 20 23:05 GMT (UK) »
If the burials are recorded in Llanferres Parish Register then it is likely the gravestone is actually in Llanferres.
You are right Llanrhydd Church/Cemetery is a good 5 miles away and situated in Ruthin. Can't think why they would be buried there - people would be buried in their home parish.
Wonder if you wrote to the Vicar at Llanferres asking if a transcript of Llanferres burials exist - a parishoner may be able to help.
(I'm very familiar with the area but live a distance away or I'd go and search in Llanferres Cemetery!)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 January 20 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks zetlander. I do think they were buried at Llanferres as they are both recorded in the parish burial register.

The record I found on the National Archives site in RG 37 (not 67, sorry, but I now can't edit the original post) does refer to removal of graves and gravestones though, which is what started me wondering if perhaps the stone had been moved elsewhere.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2602875

I am not able to visit the N.A. and the record is not digitised.

I looked up the parish and it appears likely that the Vicar serves quite a few churches in the area and I am hesitating about contacting him. He's probably got enough to do looking after the needs of the living to have time for queries about the long dead. I'll give it some thought and if I do contact the parish will try not to mention how much I dread seeing ivy in a graveyard!

On the bright side, I do think this image on Billion Graves is the right people (wherever the stone may be currently) maybe I should settle for that.

Unless there is anyone on Rootschat who lives just along the road from St Berres and maybe likes a walk. . . you never know :-)

Boo

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 January 20 15:46 GMT (UK) »
google <Llanferres news & views> - you should be able to make contact with someone via this site - or possibly post a message.

If not write to Llanferres Churchwarden c/o the Vicar - Church wardens usually have a lot of local knowledge.

The local 'joke' about Llanferres Church Cemetery is that it's the only one in Wales which has a lot of alcohol in it.  This is because the wine/beer cellars of the very adjacent Druid Inn are actually under some of the gravestones!

Llanferres is classed as an area of outstanding beauty and is the starting point for a walk up the hill Moel Fammau (google it.)

Good luck.