Author Topic: Scotlandspeople Duplicate Records  (Read 752 times)

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scotlandspeople Duplicate Records
« on: Wednesday 08 January 20 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Has anyone come across this problem before, I got a ref to a  birth record and decided to look for it downloaded the image and discovered I already had this record but in a totally different layout and with a different reference number. It is definitely the same family and the same birth.

1:MCDONALD
ALEXANDER RONALD MCDONALD/JESSIE MCLEAN FR7461 (FR7461) M 10/02/1850 387/ 280 358
Perth

2:MCDONALD ALEXANDER RONALD MCDONALD/JANET MCLEAN 12 JANUARY 1850 10 FEBRUARY 1850 PERTH ASSOCIATE

yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Scotlandspeople Duplicate Records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 January 20 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes.

As I'm sure you know, the Church of Scotland was supposed to keep a record of all baptisms in its parish. So if a child was baptised other than by the C of S parish minister, in theory there should always be two separate records. Unfortunately this only actually happens infrequently in practice, so much so that it's quite rare.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scotlandspeople Duplicate Records
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 January 20 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian
Yours Aye
BruceL