Author Topic: Jenkin Family  (Read 1832 times)

Offline Ella Rodger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jenkin Family
« on: Thursday 09 January 20 08:21 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone has any information on the Jenkin family? From the records, it looks like they were mainly based in St. Teath. I have gotten to Nathaniell Jenking/Nathaniel Jenkin (?-1731), who married Mary Ollever/Oliver on the 2nd of Feb 1679 in St. Teath. I have seen some family tree's on ancestry which shows his line to continue with:
Robert Jenkin-Nan Trenanoe and/or Ann Trenance
(1635-1695)   (1625-?)

John Jenkin-Paternell Fugars
(1600-?)       (1625-?)

Geogre Jenkin-Elizabeth
(1550-)          (1545-?)

Although I can't find any records to confirm this line so, if anyone has any information, it would be much appreciated if you could share it with me.

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jenkin Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 January 20 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ella

Jenkin is a prolific name in Cornwall. They are everywhere.  The Cornwall OPC site shows there are no Jenkin marriages or births at St Teath before Nathaniel and Mary.  So they moved there. There is one death at St Teath in 1671 of Charels (Charles?).  He could be related to Nathaniel.

The Robert Jenkin - Nan Trenance marriage is in the OPC database. Their source is Phillimore's. It took place on 13 Nov 1655 at Warleggan.

The John Jenkin - Paternell marriage is not in the OPC data base.  I am suspicious of those dates. If they are Robert's parents either her YOB has a typo or she had Robert when she was ten.  Also Robert's wife and mother have the same YOB.

There is no suitable George Jenkin (or variants) and Elizabeth in the OPC data base. The first George marriage is in 1632.  So maybe early marriage records are thin on the ground.  Have you asked the tree owners about their sources?  It's hard to see how the tree owners have linked Nathaniel to Robert when they don't appear to have a DOB for Nathaniel. Maybe they have a Will.

I would forget those marriages and concentrate on finding Nathaniel's origins. You have no birth/baptism for him and unfortunately neither does the OPC database.  https://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/home/

Good Luck
Venelow
Canada

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 January 20 17:44 GMT (UK) »
I fully agree with venelow.

Apart from my standard "never trust a tree without primary sources" comment, I can only add: what were the names of Nathaniel's children? (There may be a naming pattern which could hint at parents).

Apart from the Cornwall Online Parish Clerk (OPC) the best free site is probably FamilySearch - they have many parish register images and are reasonably (though not fully) indexed.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 January 20 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Philip

Yes, I'm a fan of Family Search and I checked there first. Unfortunately the records for St Teath are limited to Marriages 1898 - 1908.

I just checked for Warleggan and they seem to have lots of older records for that Parish.

Here is a link for Ella (and any one else who is interested)

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1769414

As Philip says there is a index but not for all records but there is a browse function also.

Click on the browse images link. It's in red under the search box. The click on Cornwall to get a list of all the parishes. Choose a parish and you will get a list of record types and dates available. Just browse and search like you would if going through a film reel.
This is a great resource for people who can't get to an LDS Family Centre.

Venelow

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 09:17 BST (UK) »
I have also researched an earlier armorial JenkYn family , a family which had no sons -it ' daughtered '  out  -
 BUT I wonder if you have considered that Jenkins is also a prolific Welsh name and St Teath was a mining area.
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 09:37 BST (UK) »
Jenkins is a surname that originated in Cornwall, but came to be popular in southern Wales. The name "Jenkin" originally meant "little John" or "son of John".

The "kin" portion is of Dutch origin (-kijn), which then gained a certain popularity in England.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenkins_(name)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)