Author Topic: Update to Brabazon Disney Sheils Thread- Advice/Opinions Required  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Update to Brabazon Disney Sheils Thread- Advice/Opinions Required
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 January 20 03:14 GMT (UK) »
Sent a email but never heard back from them. Sent second request email yesterday so maybe will get a response.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 January 20 05:54 GMT (UK) »

Wow... normally excellent at answering anything I've asked about.

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Mondo Lemma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 21:45 GMT (UK) »
I too am descended from James Hodson Bond and Elizabeth Sheils.  The info I had on their marriage had Brabazon Disney Sheils as just a witness, so I couldn’t confirm the connection.  We also found the later BDS - Rose Rooney marriage (with surprise).   My guess on that is that it was a renewal of earlier marriage vows, made later in life when the situation of marriage records had changed a little.

The earlier marriage may have been not recorded, or indeed records lost; and given his status in the region, it could hardly have been a secret, I think.  The presence of priests from “both sides” in 1850 seems to be a significant mark of approval. 

Offline Mondo Lemma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 February 20 04:00 GMT (UK) »
I have further info on JH Bond including addresses from directories.  Eliza and he had 5 daughters (I call them “the Bond girls”).  I am descended from Rosabella (maybe the name is a nod to Rose R.?)  She married W.S. Webb (farmer) a few months after her elder sister Mary Elizabeth (---after her mother---) married  W.S.’s brother Robert A. Webb (clergy).  The latter pair went to a parish in Cork; Rosa and William to the colony of Queensland, newly separated from New South Wales.  The sad story from then can be continued later ...

I will break there, as I need to get 3 posts before I can private-message!

Offline Mondo Lemma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 February 20 04:12 GMT (UK) »
JH Bond seems to have had a litigious streak.  I have seen an account of his making a complaint against local youths (in Dundalk or Darver) knocking on his door and then running away.   When the boys failed to appear at the court sessions, the magistrate dismissed the case.

Here is a time-line of his (mainly Dublin) life, mainly from directories.

Marr. Lic. 1838 (Index to the Act etc. 1800-58, p.268). Marr. Jan 38 to ES, St Marks
1842 Voters Roll: Freeholder, Darver, Louth
    [Not at 27 G.-st in Thom’s ‘50,’52, ‘57]
    [1848 Petition to HE Earl of Clarendon, LLG & GG of Ireland re Smith O’Brien has signatory J Bond, Dublin (part 1), Golden Lane (NAI)
    1851 Census (index) Jas Bond 8 Exchequer St St Bridget’s South of Liffey - these may be another JB]
   Griffiths Valuation (1848-64) JHB is occupier at 26 Wellington Pl, town of Dundalk (Michael Casey imm. lessor): house & offices val. L14-0-0
1850,52: no entry in Thom
1855 Helena G bapt. from 26 Middle Gardiner st.
1857 Thom’s: 26 Middle Gardner st.
1858 July 19: JHB is witn. for husb. at marr. of JW Miller (bk-kpr) of 32 Pleasant St to Martha Emily Sheils of 37 (sic) Grenville St, dr of BD Sheils. (NB 37 Gr St does not exist in directories -- should be 27). Wit. for Wife,  Robert Keating Clay
1859 Thom’s: 27 Grenville St, Dublin
1862 Thom’s: 27 Grenville St (LL28)
1863 27 Grenville St, Dublin address of Rosabella and WSW at marr. 1863
1868 Thom’s (Muckross Terrace) 52 Bushfield ave (off Donnybrook rd) Pemroke township
1870 Slater’s Leinster Directory has him -and also Brabazon Disney Shiels - at Newton-Darver (in Castle-Bellingham, Dunleer, etc.)
1870 Slater’s Dublin dir. has him at 1 Eveton, Rathgar ave.
1871 Thom’s: 4 Leicester ave., Rathgar
1875 Death at 4 Effra rd., Rathmines. State “married”.  Reported by Mary King (with her mark).
1876 Probate granted to Eva Helena Bond of Rathmines-rd. spinster, dr of JHB. Effects <L20. JHB late of Effra-rd. Rathmines.