Author Topic: How do you store your old photos?  (Read 2412 times)

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: How do you store your old photos?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 January 20 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Some good advise thanks, has anybody any pictures of the types of albums that they are using themselves?
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 January 20 16:20 GMT (UK) »
As I mentioned, I made up my own for my Mum to use - Bought several good quality "Leather look" ring folders, lots of quires of good quality stable black card in A4 sheets (Although I did do one A3 album to match, for larger images), loads of commercial photo corners, and I made card-covered-in-adhesive plastic box-sleeves to slide completed albums in to reduce dust build up ( not as hard to do as it sounds, if you're acurate with a knife, and deft with fingers, the worst bit I found was covering the card sleeve/boxes with the self adhesive plastic (which almost matched the covers of the albums) without bubbles or wrinkles!!
No plastic overlay sheets, and as space wasn't an issue, plenty of area for Mum to write as much information about each photo as she could recall. She liked the idea of using contrasting silver pens, and I was happy for that, as I'd found white pens a waste of time.
-And the loose-leaf format meant that I could re-order and re-organise the sheets at a later date)
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 January 20 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Right. This is my plan (note that I say plan because I still working on it) for my 'recent photos (roughly 1950s onwards).
Have nice scrapbooking albums (pages 8" x 8") with each a separate category (wedding, 1 for each child, Christmas, holidays, etc.) for myself to keephttp://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Drumcroon/Collins/1516396/the children & OH have already been made 12x12 albums). Then have 8x8 brown paper (spiral-bound albums) for other categories (nephew & his family, cousins' children, etc.). All these will be kept on bookshelf where I can look through them at any time.
The rest of the photos (duplicates, ones I don't want) are thrown into a box after being labelled. The children are them going to go through this box and take whatever they want or suggest who should get them. Ones that are out of focus are thrown away.
Next problem is the older pictures (have about 10 large boxes of them, 2 old Victorian albums, framed ones, etc.) but one step at a time. I expect the scanner will be very busy at this stage...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 January 20 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Some really excellent ideas here, some are a bit more harder to visualise from a description alone, would it be possible to upload a pic or two or email me them, if you send me a message, much appreciated everyone
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes