Author Topic: Longhill Cottage, near Whithorn  (Read 2730 times)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Longhill Cottage, near Whithorn
« Reply #18 on: Monday 20 January 20 00:10 GMT (UK) »
It is very satisfying, somehow, to see a photo of the very house your ancestors lived in ~150-200 years ago.  I now have photos of five houses in that age range - two in Wisconsin [one long since demolished, the other in fine shape though much modernized], one in Maine [still going strong after some 250 years], one in Ireland [a derelict wreck] and this one in excellent shape.  I'm going to go back through the censuses to see if I can identify specific houses in England.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 20 January 20 10:10 GMT (UK) »
It must be a good feeling.

Generally it is the city dweller ancestors whose houses are long gone due to inner city developments, though sometimes you can be lucky. Change came more slowly to country areas so I think there is sometimes more chance of finding ancestral homes.

Let is know if you find any more.  :)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 20 January 20 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Shame they removed the front door.  That's presumably where the old lady was sitting to wash the tripe when she was accosted by the fairy.

Wow...what a quaint little cottage  8) wouldn't you just love to walk up to the door and enter the house in the footsteps of your ancestor and to be able to have a chat and a  ☕️ 🎂 with the occupants.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 20 January 20 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that would be fun.  I'm sorry my father didn't get to see the photos and, even more so, my grandmother who was very proud of her Scottish ancestors.  So much so, that their names have been passed down to the nth generation - my brother has Conning as a middle name, named after our gg-grandmother.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis