Author Topic: McWhidd/Mahood of Drumdinnis, Knockbride, Baillieborough  (Read 1777 times)

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McWhidd/Mahood of Drumdinnis, Knockbride, Baillieborough
« on: Saturday 11 January 20 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello all interested in the McWhidd/Mahood line and also the families researching Drumdinnis, knockbride and Ballieborough in County Cavan. I am trying to link Reverend Alexander McWhidd - bc.1610-d.1695 Tuulylurkin. Buried Knockbride to
John MAHOOD.b.1776/85/93.Baillieborough.County Cavan.Ireland.
d.10.4.1847Moculta.
m.Catherine WALLACE.b.1786/1800.d.16.2.1870Moculta.Both Buried Shannon Mausoleum - Moculta South Australia.

cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: McWhidd/Mahood of Drumdinnis, Knockbride, Baillieborough
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 January 20 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Hallmark. Very appropriate,.

cheers
Jack
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline Les57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 March 20 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jack, I have no connection with Mahood's but I have many pages listing various Mahood families both in Ireland and abroad commencing with Reverend Alexander McWhidd. If you send me an email through the attached website I can email you what I have. Regards, Leslie https://www.bailiepublications.com

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 March 20 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Les, request complied 8.35am 2/3/2020 Aussie time. Your offer is much appreciated and i look forward to your reply.

Cheers
jack

Offline Gikily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 March 20 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Jack,
I am interested in the line of John Mahood/Catherine Wallace (buried at Moculta).  I notice that you have some details on them.  I am interested in finding out what happened to two of their boys.

The shipping list of the Mary Dugdale 1840 tells us that John and Catherine were accompanied on board by their sons, James, Samuel and William, and their daughter, Eliza.  We know that their other daughters, Sarah, Margaret and Jane came to Australia as they married here - whether on the same ship, or later?  But I am not sure about John Jnr (b 1813), who would have been an older child. 

Do you know if he came to Australia with his family or stayed in Ireland (or perhaps went elsewhere)?  There are hints that Samuel died in 1840 which would have been just after arrival in Australia.  Do you have any details of his death? 

Many thanks.  I hope you can help. Appreciate it.  Gikily

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 March 20 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Gilki,
One of their daughters married a Shannon which is my wifes line.
I have more to impart and happy to chat.
Welcome to rootschat - you need at least three posts to be able to enact personal messages.
Are you coming from the Irish/Co Cavan side or are in Australia?

Cheers
Jack Gee

Offline Gikily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 04:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Jack,

This is my first time on a blog and I am not sure what buttons to push.  Will get used to it I am sure.

My name is Gillian.  I am in Perth.  John and Catherine Wallace are my great great grandparents.  Eliza Shannon is my great great aunt.  I am not doing a family tree which goes back eons.  Just trying to write the story from John and Catherine's voyage to South Australia and the family from thereon.  My cousins and I are putting it together while some of the memories are still there.

At the moment I am using free sites.  Reluctant to go into paid sites as much of the information is regurgitated error.

While my branch comes down through John and Catherine's son, William, who moved over to Cue in WA, we will have Eliza's generation in common and it would be great to hear more from you.

I know nothing of John and Catherine from the time they landed until their date and place of death at the Shannon Mausoleum.  Nor of their voyage - good one or bad one?  Because William stayed around the Kapunda region, I am assuming that John and Catherine did as well.  Families tended to stay close by.

I also don't know what John and Catherine did in County Cavan, whether town or rural, but have deduced that they may have come from Knockbride.

Four of their children are recorded on Mary Dugdale, but what of the others?  John, Jane, Sarah and Margaret.

I can find no trace of John.

I read that Samuel may have died 1840 - 41 but where does that fact come from?

Grave records don't pop up, as I think nearly everyone (except those in the Shannon Mausoleum) is in an unmarked grave and it would be necessary to obtain formal death certificates for those.  Which, eventually, I will be happy to do.

Of William and Eliza's siblings I have the dates of birth except for Sarah and Margaret.
I have William married to Jane Smith, my great grandparents.
I have Jane married to Robert Davison (before or after emigration?  Where did they reside?)
I have Margaret married to Henry Worthington (before or after emigration?  Where did they reside?)
James seems to be well recorded.
Eliza seems to be well recorded.
Nothing on John or Samuel.
Nothing on Sarah, Margaret or Jane.

William's time in Kapunda is not clear either, but that can wait for another time.
So, that's about where I am.  Would love to hear if you can help out with a bit of the above.  Look forward to hearing from you.
Gillian.

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 09:13 BST (UK) »
hELLO gILLIAN,
 I lookforward to your next post so that we can then use the personal message part of this forum.
I will PM you with my email address and we can swap material. About 10 years ago i had a lot of material from a chap in WA about the Mahood's. I may still have his email address. I will be able to help with your project as i have a handle on most of the offspring.
Next post please. - with great interest.

cheers
Jack Gee