Author Topic: Looking for possible ancestors in or around Kilskerry  (Read 2472 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for possible ancestors in or around Kilskerry
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 January 20 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 January 20 09:46 GMT (UK) »
This looks like a likely birth for Thomas
1877 a bit older than the 1901 Census but father's name and occupation match and given he called his first daughter Sarah the mother Sarah O'Loughlin looks good as well
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1877/03010/2103344.pdf

Marriage 1875
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1875/11219/8112704.pdf

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 January 20 15:34 GMT (UK) »
I don't see any more children for this couple, so it looks like Thomas is an only child.
As you know there is no father listed for Mary Jane Kelly so we have no idea who her parent's were or where she is from, the address on the marriage may not be where she was born. Kelly isn't an easy name to research at the best of times as it is so numerous.

Do you know where the family were in 1911? This would at least give an idea of her age and what county she was born in.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Tldubie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 January 20 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Yes it is the Mary Jane and Sarah leaving in 1910 to go meet Thomas!!

I know from the records of Thomas's passage that his sponsor was his uncle William Fyffe.

Offline Tldubie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 January 20 18:10 GMT (UK) »
I have the history from here in the US but I have very very little of it from Ireland.  My grandmother left New York when she was just barely 20 and never went back.  My mother never met her grandparents.  I only remember hearing my grandmother talk about Kilskeery. 

Offline Tldubie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 12 January 20 18:13 GMT (UK) »
According to the ships log for Mary Jane and Sarah it list Mary Jane's mother as Jane Kelly. I haven't been able to find anything on her either.  I had a possible lead of a Jane and Laurence Kelly, Laurence being from Scotland.

I have Thomas's mother as a Sarah O'Loughlin, but not sure of that.  Mary Jane and Thomas had two sons Thomas V and William but they were born in New York and were much younger than my grandmother.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 12 January 20 19:34 GMT (UK) »
As no father is on her marriage cert than Mary is most likely illegitimate.
It would have been a lot easier if you had told us all this information at the start.
Have you got Thomas and Mary in any US Census giving a birth place other than just Ireland, and her possible year of birth.