Author Topic: Navy records pre-1815  (Read 1190 times)

Offline croz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Navy records pre-1815
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 01 September 21 16:12 BST (UK) »
I noticed the record of the capture of Nostra Senora Del Pont St Buonaventa in the original captain's log, but with no obvious name of the prize master....and I had assumed that as John Morland was part of a French prisoner exchange, a French "prize" ship would have been involved.....the assumption seems to be that whatever vessel he was assigned to as "Maitre de Prise" was subsequently captured, or recaptured (by the French ??)...so it is, I suppose, possible that it could be either the Nostra Senora Del Pont St Buonaventa or the John McDonald....not originally French...but captured by the French....

Intriguing.....
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Morland family - Westmorland, Kent (Court Lodge), Soho (London) , Fulham/Parsons Green (Middlesex).
Limpus family - Fulham/Putney (Middlesex) - Ragless and Penfold families (West Sussex)

Offline RobertHauteville

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 03 September 21 16:01 BST (UK) »
Have you tracked Capt. Horton's letters Out to the Admiralty, then around Whitehall and then the Admiralty's replies back In to Horton? There must be a dialogue about prize captures and prisoner exchanges recorded in the letters.

Re. the 1925 family letter it is probably as prone to the same problem we all face with family legends. They generally contain lots of facts but unfortunately the dates, names and places get very mixed up. For example:-

* perhaps there was someone in the family at Trafalgar but they were not a Lt or were on the maternal side with a different surname
 * perhaps there was a Lt Morland but not at Trafalgar e.g., https://threedecks.org/index.php?display_type=show_crewman&id=10754

etc.

Also you seem a bit doubtful about Jn Morland being a sometime Carpenter & sometime Sailor. Presuambly he is a rellie of Wm Morland the Master Shipwright (& sometime Purchaser of Timber) of Sheerness? see https://www.tedconnell.org.uk/LFH/WIL/06/05.htm

Offline RobertHauteville

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 03 September 21 17:53 BST (UK) »
The privateer N. S. del Pont St Bonaventa was captured by the Fairy in the Channel not off Spain. So if it was captured again it may well have been the French. https://sites.rootsweb.com/~pbtyc/18-1900/F/01710.html

Offline croz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 04 September 21 18:04 BST (UK) »
The Buonaventa seems a likely candidate as the relevant muster book does show JM as "lent  prize" or "chequed lent prize" on 1 February 1799.... an  entry  showing him as "Masters Mate" "to 1 Jun 99 then AB" may also tie in with him being possibly captured in June 1799 (released as an exchange in August 1799). I need to double check the date of the muster book entry which shows "Chequed without leave  26 July" ...this may or may not tie in with his time as POW. According to the POW records he was not in fact imprisoned in Saumur as suggested - the batch of exchanged men listed immediately above his exchange record were at Saumur but JM and six others were bracketed with a different location reference which I am unable to decipher (copy attached) I haven't pursued the captain's letters to the Admiralty in any detail, although the naval gazette (I think) isn't specific on crewing arrangements for the prize/captured vessel. The family letter extract does contain other details which enlighten and partially confirm other family facts  and "legends" related to the Morlands at this time, so I have a degree of trust in the basic naval references at least. JM is definitely unrelated to the Sheerness family - but his own father was a cabinet maker of some repute which may explain the "carpenter" references on some records post his naval service, although he only recorded himself as "sailor" or "mariner" on his daughters' marriage records in the 1840s.... his widow was described in late life as "mariner's widow" rather than her known occupation of dressmaker and he was keen in another published handbill in 1828 (supporting his candidacy for the post of Beadle in the parish of Fulham) to state his "many years in the arduous and honourable service of his king and country at sea"........

Morland family - Westmorland, Kent (Court Lodge), Soho (London) , Fulham/Parsons Green (Middlesex).
Limpus family - Fulham/Putney (Middlesex) - Ragless and Penfold families (West Sussex)

Offline croz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 11 October 21 21:37 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can shed light on the meaning of this entry -  specifically "FC 866" in a Ships Muster Book ....in the column headed "No and Letter of Tickets" ?
The photo was taken by me of an entry in an Admiralty Record held at the National Archive viewed and photographed under Reader's Ticket terms - any and all copyrights acknowledged.