Author Topic: Navy records pre-1815  (Read 1199 times)

Offline croz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Navy records pre-1815
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 March 21 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for the information......I will certainly follow up as soon as circumstances change.

Croz
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Morland family - Westmorland, Kent (Court Lodge), Soho (London) , Fulham/Parsons Green (Middlesex).
Limpus family - Fulham/Putney (Middlesex) - Ragless and Penfold families (West Sussex)

Offline croz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 August 21 17:54 BST (UK) »
A quick update - again many thanks to RobertHauteville  for the detailed links to National archives documents, which I have now seen, and confirmed that John Morland was a member of the Fairy's ships company in 1798/9 when he was, if I understand the documents correctly, at least at some point the "Master's Mate". Also confirmed he was a prisoner of war, and exchanged on 6 August 1799, recorded as "maitre de prise". I have not, however, been able to confirm which vessel was captured by the Fairy, or how he subsequently came to be taken prisoner. More time at Kew (which is a very impressive facility and very well set up for visiting researchers) may be required. I also cannot verify any service at the Battle of the Nile.

Morland family - Westmorland, Kent (Court Lodge), Soho (London) , Fulham/Parsons Green (Middlesex).
Limpus family - Fulham/Putney (Middlesex) - Ragless and Penfold families (West Sussex)

Offline croz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 August 21 16:34 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can decipher, or hazard a guess at what the following means - extracted from a muster and pay book...held in National Archives....apologies if I have failed to acknowledge any copyright - the photo was taken by me on a reading room visit.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 August 21 15:52 BST (UK) »
It's "Chequed without leave".

"....the category "chequed without leave" represented men checked as being absent at the time of the muster" https://ruor.uottawa.ca/bitstream/10393/29882/1/NR61228.PDF
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline croz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 August 21 18:05 BST (UK) »
Thankyou very much. This may tie in with the man in question being placed as a prize master on a captured vessel and/or his subsequent imprisonment by the French. The pieces are slowly fitting together.

Croz

Offline RobertHauteville

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 19:16 BST (UK) »
The Captains Logs should give all ships captured, who was assigned to captain them, and whether the Fairy acted as a support ship at the Battle of the Nile on 3 Aug 1798:

FAIRY (1797 June 18-1798 June 17) https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4458292
   FAIRY (1798 June 18-1799 June 18) https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4459842
   FAIRY (1799 June 18-1800 Feb 24) https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4458634

If you go through the Musters/Pay Books you will eventually find when John Morland was discharged from the ship. If you are lucky it will give the name of another ship he transferred to. When he was released from Saumur he may have been asssigned to a new ship as the Fairy sailed for the Leeward Islands in Feb 1800 but he will still have been discharged from the Fairy's books. The Navy were very precise with their accounts!

If he was on board the Fairy in 1800 you may be interested in "The Sea Warriors" by Richard Woodman

https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/The-Sea-Warriors-Paperback/p/6142

It describes the capture of the 38 gun Pallas by the Fairy and Harper in early Feb 1800.

Offline croz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 September 21 15:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for the additional document references and for your interest in this particular piece of research. I have looked at the muster/pay books and logs you mentioned in your previous post but so far I haven't been able to trace the particular "prize" vessel to which John Morland was assigned. From  the original logs you pointed me to I couldn't find any obvious record of John Morland by name. He does, however, appear in the muster/pay records. From those I deduce that he may have served on Hms Osprey prior to being mustered on HMS Fairy and may have subsequently transferred from Fairy to HMS Trusty. He was certainly "lent" to a prize vessel (and was listed as "Maitre de Prise" in the prisoner exchange records). The attached image shows this - I can now decipher the word "Checked or "Chequed" thanks to ShaunJ - perhaps it is also possible to decipher the word bewteen "Chequed" and "prize" which may give another clue. I also believe he returned to Fairy (possibly after prisoner exchange) via or from HMS Royal William, which at the time was a receiving ship or guard ship. I am aware that a receiving ship was normally used to accommodate pressed men before they were assigned to a ship of war, but I think it is possible it may have also accommodated returning prisoners ? Certainly the muster book states clearly "Lent Prize 1 Feb 99, Ret 18 August (corrected to 22 Aug from Royal William). The prisoner exchange record is specific - the date of exchange was 6 August 1799. I am slightly perplexed by the record of "Checked without leave"...I also see a case where his "rank" of "Master's Mate" was changed after a specific date  to "AB", which is also perplexing.

I will need to make more visits to Kew, now that I have seen  original documents I have a better idea what information they offer, and in what format, so I will be better prepared to compile a chronology with details of service prior to and post HMS Fairy. I cannot find any record of Fairy being part of the Nile Fleet....so far. Certainly John Morland left the Navy no later than 1815, when he was married and settled in Fulham, London, (he died there in 1845) Ultimately I may be trying to piece together a 25 year Naval career.

All help, suggestions, tips and encouragement welcome.

Thanks again

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 September 21 16:05 BST (UK) »
Newspaper reports in mid-February 1799 include the capture of two prizes by the sloop Fairy in January:  the Nostra Senora Del Pont St Buonaventa, and the John McDonald ( a recapture). The Captain reported on January 11th that he'd sent the British ship on to Lisbon, but he was still holding the Spanish ship.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 September 21 16:07 BST (UK) »